Various modelling questions

Photos and talk about mecha modelling

Moderator: kosh

Falk

Various modelling questions

Post by Falk » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:26 pm

On my Phantom recast, there are two sizes of brass rods to use, 1mm and 2mm.
I drilled the holes, but now for the rods themselves, should I use 1mm & 2mm rods ? Or something like 0.8mm & 1.8mm ?

Cuz' rods the same size as holes fit really tight, so may that not cause problems later ? When there's paint on the rods for instance ?
I wouldn't want to put my fingers everywhere on the parts just to put them together...

When all the parts are painted, do you glue everything together ? Or do you keep the different parts separate and just put them together with a tight pinning ?
Last edited by Falk on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:29 am

You're supposed to insert the same size of brass rod as the hole. Having a smaller size rod won't even be able to hold the two parts together. Pinning obviously adds strength to hold up the kit, but it also lets you to assemble the whole kit without applying any glue. Since no glue is apply, you can assemble and disassemble the kit when you need to.

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:35 pm

M'kay, thanks.
Yup', I've tried and if I don't glue everything together, a smaller rod would be... to small^^

Particularly with the small holes, on small parts. You can't drill deep and it doesn't hold well, even with a double pin :? (the long armor-dress parts on the Phantom for instance... oh and I drilled through it :P Twice :oops: A bit to much of enthusiasm :wink: )

What d'you guys use for filling gaps, casting glitches and over-enthusiastic drilling errors ?
Some tamiya putty or something like that ?
What about milliput ?

And why are some models painted grey then sanded again ?
The guy sands it, sprays it grey to see the smaller mistakes remaining, then sands it again to be sure everything's perfect ?

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:39 pm

Why would you ever have paint on the pins?

Anyways, when handling parts, it's a good idea to wear something like surgical gloves, to keep the finger oils/greases away.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:35 pm

I don't have a problem with drilling through parts. However, I do sometimes drill the hole at the wrong angle which resulted the holes on two separate parts not being able to align correctly. Is this case, I would enlarge one of the holes and stuff some Tamiya epoxy putty and redrill. You can also stuff a little less epoxy putty and insert the rod to let the putty cure.

The grey paint you're talking about is the primer. People spray it on as the base before applying the actual colors for the kit. The reason for this is to allow the painting to better adhere to the surface of the kit. Grey also makes it easier to spot imperfections so you can fix the problem before you actually start to paint the kit.