tamiya expoxy putty

Photos and talk about mecha modelling

Moderator: kosh

NycRayJai

tamiya expoxy putty

Post by NycRayJai » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:24 am

hey when using tamiya epoxy putty, should i wear gloves?
i normally don't use gloves when i work with normal putty and use my fingers to apply putty.

i plan on buying some and i want to know how it works. i know it's knead-able. but like for normal putty i know squardron white putty is a better buy.(to me it seems more for the money and white is a better color to use)
the tamiya expoxy putty doesn't seem to have alot inside. anything u guys recommend that comes in large quanities?
or maybe i can make my own? cuz i've seen in some japanese hobby magazines i see people mix putty with a bunch of weird sh** and make something thats knead-able.

thanks

and does anyone know how Zpoxy works? it seems to be liquid and not solid... it can't glue the things i want either... im mixing part A+B and it;s still not working. it;s also not curing.

banruo

Post by banruo » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:36 am

I don't wear gloves when using epoxy putty, in fact I wet my fingers with automotive thinners for better handling and wash with handcare products after the job.
Don't get the tamiya expoxy putty, for the same price you probably can get bucket size from local hardware shop. To use it, take same quantity from both part (it's a 2 part putty) and knead them til colour change occurs then you can apply it on the surface you want.
The zpoxy I know is just plain old epoxy glue, it comes in 2 bottles - resin and hardener. Mix the two in equal amounts, in 5 minutes time it becomes sticky and in 15 minutes it should have been hardened.

NycRayJai

Post by NycRayJai » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:12 pm

thanks, i asked for it at hardware stores before but they tell tell me it's used for plumping and not plastics, would those work too? thanks

banruo

Post by banruo » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:39 am

It will work, but likely it will be industrial strength meaning alot harder and less smooth. BTW what are you using it for on plastics?

NycRayJai

Post by NycRayJai » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:38 am

im gonna use it to fill really large holes like in the guns of old SD models, and make custom parts. i can sand it right?

banruo

Post by banruo » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:00 am

I find epoxy putty very hard to sand, instead I use hobby knives to carve it to the shape I want. If you want something more sandable try polyester putty.

NycRayJai

Post by NycRayJai » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:20 pm

cool, know where i can get that?
thanks