spray booth WIP

Photos and talk about mecha modelling

Moderator: kosh

machine mess

spray booth WIP

Post by machine mess » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:06 pm

Here's a few pics of the progress on a spray booth I'm building following the design instructions at this link:

http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorial ... &CurPage=1

this is the $10 desk I bought at the local recycling re-use/buyback center

notice the hole I cut in the top of it. I wanted to make a "downdraft" booth to maximize the fume venting capacity of the booth (downdrafting lets gravity help out)

and here's the stiff metal screen I'm mounting over the hole so that my parts don't fall through the hole (it's an old aquarium lid also from the re-use center)

these are the pieces of wood which will go on the desk top (the 4 pieces of particle board) for the booth itself and under the desk top (the plywood) to create a "plenum" for evening out the flow af air as it gets drawn out the side of the desk.

I've got the duct pieces too, but I still need to go to Grainger and get a shaded pole blower - from the tutorial above I gather that fans that have the motor in the air stream can melt or explode if you use solvent-based paint (like Mr. Color), which I do. Shaded Pole Blowers have a design that puts the motor just outside the airstream, and they're not too expensive either. I'm a little worried about the noise level, but it seems unlikely that it'll be louder than my airbrush compressor.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:54 am

It's fall study break today at the U of M where I work, so my unscheduled flex-time self came home early and made significant progress today.

I got the spraying area itself substantially bracketed together and the retaining blocks in place under the black-framed metal mesh.

I also laid those bricks and built those steps that you can see the edge of in this pic - scale models are fun, but 1/1 scale is great too 8)

I got the vent pipe hole cut in the plenum area and test fitted the other boards for the lower part of the plenum (not shown because their brackets aren't in place yet).

you can also see what a lovely fall day it was here today :D

I also set up a little sliding door for letting more air into the plenum in case I overdid it with the sucking power of the fan I bought at Grainger's yesterday ( I decided to err on the side of too much power because that Mr. Color is some nasty stuff).

open

closed

Totally had a blast working on it today (and I managed to get it all cleaned up and put away before Lisa got home from picking up Kit from preschool after work :shock: ). I hope folks are enjoying my show and tell.

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:33 am

That's very interesting, what kind of model do you build?

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:06 am

I've built several Evangelion IP kits and done kitbashes /dioramas with some of them. NGE was the show that got me into anime, manga, and kit building about 7 years ago.

here are a couple examples, all bristle-brush painted:

I'm mainly on these boards because I've built a couple of FSS IP kits - this is my 1/144 Led Mirage

I also cosplay, which is another designing and building type of work.
here's what my son (YU Gi Oh) and I (Gantz) wore to Anime Central earlier this year

I recently got my first FSS resin kit as a reward to myself for finally (after living in this house for several years :oops: ) getting an art studio properly set up in the basement for my wife and I to work in. The combination of resin kit and more space to work in gave me an excuse to buy an airbrush and build a spraybooth. You can check out my 1/100 Schpeltor WIP over on the FSS modeling board if you like.

BTW, I got the boards for the plenum enclosure (below the desktop) bracketed tightly into place yesterday afternoon, so the next time I post pictures here (soon, I hope :D ) you'll get to see my basement in the background.

I'm anticipating that mounting my shaded pole blower will be a tough job for which I'll need to borrow a "sawzall." I'll let you know how that goes. :wink:

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:31 am

mounting that blower is turning into even more of an ordeal than I thought. I realized a sawzall wouldn't be precise enough and figured I'd need to buy a 4" hole saw.

And I thought resin kits were expensive. Holy cow! $40 at Lowes for a bit to put in my drill to cut a 4" hole. I just couldn't do it. Found one for $25.03 on Amazon with free shipping, and that still hurts, but ok, I give up. I guess it's still cheaper than hiring a carpenter to cut one blasted hole. Well, I guess it'll have to go through a few layers, so maybe 3 holes total.

If anyone has been inspired to build your own spray booth and cut a 4" hole in the wall of your house, let me know: I'll give you a good price on a barely used hole saw.

I did get the blower wired, though. It's amazingly quiet and doesn't vibrate much either. Much quieter than my kitchen or bathroom exhaust fan. Blows hard like a hair dryer too. At least this was worth the money I paid for it.

See you in a week or two when the hole saw arrives :| (maybe I'll start building the vacuum forming rig I've been dreaming of in the meantime :) )

machine mess

just about done

Post by machine mess » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:51 am

Here it is, in the basement. It seems to get a nice draw through the desk top, but I haven't sprayed anything toxic yet to test it. I'll let you know...

Mounting the fan was the hardest part. I think I must have done it this way because I have none of what you humans call "common sense"

As you can see, it's in rather a tight space between the floor joists. I'm afraid I'm going to have to move it to the side of the desk/spraybooth (like every other spraybooth design I've ever seen), but I'll use it this way through the winter since I worked so hard to get it up here.

btw, this is the hole saw. I ended up having to borrow a neighbor's hammer drill because my ordinary electric drill had too small a chuck to fit this gargantua.

like I said before, I'm done with it now. If you'd like to buy it from me, make me an offer. I can't imagine when I'll ever need to drill another 4 inch hole in anything. maybe in another 37 years. maybe I should start a "4 inch hole drilling" business, maybe it could be the next big craze.

NycRayJai

Post by NycRayJai » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:47 pm

i gotta make myself one of those...

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:02 pm

i gotta make myself one of those...
let me know if you have any questions that aren't answered by this thread.

I'm happy to help, especially where people's health is concerned :D

NycRayJai

Post by NycRayJai » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:54 pm

i normally spray paint on my roff, but when it's winter i spray near the roof door, but i can still smell the fumes. is that ok? lol
like how much can kill you?
i don't feel dizzy or anything, but i start to smell tangy smells and start feeling hungry, lol

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:21 am

i think it depends on a lot of things...

are you sraying with cans? I'm pretty sure cans are the worst for fumes because they "overspray" so much and use nasty propellants in addition to the nasty stuff in the paint itself

are you airbrushing? much less overspray then, but are you spraying water or solvent based paints? Lacquers like Mr. Color are the worst as far as I know, but I love the way they look and the way the dry fast and hard - so I built this thing.

do some google searching to learn more about the hazards.

if you're not getting headaches, it's likely you're doing okay.

but if you're using anything solvent-based, or using spray cans, then go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get an organic vapor filtering mask (read the package and make sure it's okay for use when painting) a decent one will cost $30-40, but your continued brain function is worth the investment :D

NycRayJai

Post by NycRayJai » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:51 pm

i feel hungry everytime i smell spray paint...
i remember when i used to be new to spray painting.
on time the day after i spray painted, i sneezed and saw blue in my snot, lol
and it was spray painting a ZZ the day before.
bad?
lol