Appleseed movie in limited US release 01/14...

The hardsuits of Bubblegum Crisis, landmates of Appleseed, etc.

Moderator: kosh

Tomexe

Appleseed movie in limited US release 01/14...

Post by Tomexe » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:14 pm

But I wont get to see it because not a SINGLE theater in Arizona is showing it according to the list on their website
http://www.appleseedthemovie.com

only in northern and southern california, and the NYC and chicago areas.

I am very unhappy, since I apparently am going to have to wait until the DVD comes out in another six months or so...

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:30 pm

I saw this in Japan. It f@#king beautiful, and much more exciting than Innocence (yawn!).
There have been DVD rips of this floating around on the web for over a month.
I'm just waiting for a half decent landmate kit now :o)

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:46 am

There is a two page ad on the inside of the front cover AND a article in this months Animerica. The article includes interviews and will be continuted in next months issue.

Shinji Aramaki is the director- and he is the one who did MOSPEADA, as well as Bubblegum Crisis and Megazone 23- all of which featured interesting small mecha.

Breda

Post by Breda » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:05 am

They played it a couple nights ago on cable, the Stars channel runs anime stuff at midnight. I was expecting a anime movie from the 80's but it was some impressive CG instead. It's like characters done in a CG anime style with mecha and backgounds in a photo-realistic CG style, ala SquareSoft stuff. The human characters done in CG still bugs me a little, but it feels a little better here since they dont try to make the characters look photo-realistic like the Final Fantasy movie, where the smooth CG movements and skin give kind of a creepy feel. Instead the characters have a more simplified anime look, yet still more realistic than cel anime characters. Very cool, the mecha action is GREAT!!!! See it just for that.

Quanto

Post by Quanto » Wed May 30, 2007 6:11 am

Honestly this one disappointed me. While it was excellently made and very nicely stylized, it was too much of a departure from the original Manga and 80s anime. Plus, the biggest glaring flaw was how they sort of recast Deunan Knute as a bit of a priss and not nearly as badass as she was in the original. They really dummied her down for the new audience, which I found truly horrifying. But meh, I'm not like most anime fans these days so don't take me too seriously :P

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed May 30, 2007 9:54 am

I'm with you on that one Quanto, The characterizations were all screwed up, its like they didn't even read the manga. While the 80s OVA wasn't perfect either, they got the characters right at least.

If you want to know how low I rate this film, I bought the dvd (really cheap), I watched it, and with 15 minutes or so left I had to stop because my dad needed the computer, I haven't even bother to finish it. that was 2 years ago, and I still have no desire to finish it. I'm a person that must always finish what I watch, I can't stand leaving something unfinished but this film accomplished the impossible.
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Spaceseeker51

Post by Spaceseeker51 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:23 pm

Must agree with the "blah" vote. Although the visuals were stunning, the actual story was incredibly unimaginative, the characters were very much dumbed down from the story.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:42 pm

I'm quite surprised to read that some people here didn't like the Appleseed movie. I thought it was pretty darn solid.

I'd love to make sure that people here are talking about the first new Appleseed movie, and not the new new Appleseed movie, Ex Machina.

Me, I really, really liked the new Appleseed movie. It delivered what, I think, must be the closest thing we're ever going to get to actual closure for the Appleseed story. The action rocked (God I love that opening sequence), the mecha were friggin' sweet, the characterization was spot-on, and it really did pull the whole manga storyline together quite nicely.

Now, Appleseed : Ex Machina....

THAT SUCKED.

The opening action scene was really cool. And that. Is. All. The story was painfully unimaginative and predictable. It used the old "nanotech is magic that can do anything and everything" schtick, and not to any kind of impressive end. The final battle was lifted directly from the last Matrix movie -- I mean, it was a total swipe! (Not to mention obviously designed to support a video game.) And worst of all, they made Briareos asian.

Dude, Briareos is black.
"Civilize the mind, make savage the body." - M.T.T.

Newton

Post by Newton » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:52 pm

Okay, so I'm not crazy, and I didn't misremember both my hobby-mags and the manga...

I wasn't impressed with the ending, but there was some beautiful animation in Ex Machina. Also, MAD PROPS for the opening sequence!!!

I was hoping for more along the lines of Woo's Hard-Boiled, but hey, we gotta take what we get, huh?