U.S. combat robots

Mecha in the here and now

Moderator: kosh

Eternal

U.S. combat robots

Post by Eternal » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:43 pm

I just heard recently that U.S. army in Iraq has received new combat robots. Those are small platforms on threads, similar to the ones used by bomb squads in appearance, but capable of mounting various weaponry. The ones I saw were either equipped with an assault rifle or with some kind of a small-calibre, multy-barreled grenade launcher. They are remotely controlled by an operator via two joysticks (I think) and have multiple cameras to provide video feed. I suspect there are other sensors present (at least a microphone sounds logical).

So what do you think about this? Such stuff sounds perfectly rational, but a machine killing humans feels extremely wrong. But I still don't know how would I feel if it was my country using such machines...

fulcy

Re: U.S. combat robots

Post by fulcy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:08 pm

Eternal wrote:I just heard recently that U.S. army in Iraq has received new combat robots. Those are small platforms on threads, similar to the ones used by bomb squads in appearance, but capable of mounting various weaponry. The ones I saw were either equipped with an assault rifle or with some kind of a small-calibre, multy-barreled grenade launcher. They are remotely controlled by an operator via two joysticks (I think) and have multiple cameras to provide video feed. I suspect there are other sensors present (at least a microphone sounds logical).

So what do you think about this? Such stuff sounds perfectly rational, but a machine killing humans feels extremely wrong. But I still don't know how would I feel if it was my country using such machines...
Not trying to brag or anything, but I work at a company that develops similar robots, and they are also deployed in Iraq (though, I've yet to hear of any type of munition other than a smoke grenade being mounted on the back of it)

ax_maxwell

Post by ax_maxwell » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:51 am

word from the intelligence agents in my network says the us has two defense parpose only mechs in a secret base in the rocky mountains.

besides there is the rule of united states supremacy (a quote from a former area 51 worker and friend of mine): "Any technological capabilities that you think that the United States has, they actually have 20 years in advance of that."

StarBomber109

Post by StarBomber109 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:05 am

I heard they mounted paintball guns (or, pepper ball....or was that the Police version...)

Anyway, I remember hearing about that too. I supose the next step would be to make a remote controled tank.

JDunk

Post by JDunk » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:04 am

I seem to recall seeing an episode of the show FutureWeapons on the History Channel a few months back that had a robot like the bomb-disposal bots some police departments have that has an M203 light machinegun mounted on it. Its remote control, though... Then again, so is the Predator drone (the one armed with two Hellfire anti-tank missiles).

As to the '20 years in advance' quote, just look at the unmanned autonomous robot race form LA to Las Vegas last year (I think; it could have been two years ago).