For Fans of Small Mecha Berkeley Lower Extremity Exoskeleton

Mecha in the here and now

Moderator: kosh

Tomexe

For Fans of Small Mecha Berkeley Lower Extremity Exoskeleton

Post by Tomexe » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:26 pm

Their website is here, http://bleex.me.berkeley.edu/bleex.htm

They are one of the three groups competing in the DARPA Exoskeletons for Human Performance Augmentation study. The other two being the wholly private SARCOS company (who previously built robot animations for museaums, amusement parks, and movies) and the Oak Ridge National Labs.

Neither SARCOS or Oak Ridge publish info on their projects, one to keep industrial secrets, the other because of national security laws. So Berkeley gets all the attention.

More images and video clips of the machine walking are on their web page.

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:33 pm

This is the only image I have found of the SARCOS exoskeleton.

I don't know if its just a mockup or if it runs. Looks like it was probably taken at last springs 4th Annual Confrence on Exoskeletons For Human Performance Augmentation held in Anahime CA.[/img]

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:58 pm

This is the Japanese University of Tsukuba's HAL-3 exoskeleton, designed to assist the elderly and infirm in walking
http://sanlab.kz.tsukuba.ac.jp/indexE.html

Diagram and short videos are on the webpage.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:21 pm

These are really cool. I've been wondering for a few years now why people haven't tried to create exoskeletons for heavy lifting.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:13 am

There is a production model of the walker coming out in the next few years - primarily targeted at the Hiking/Orienteering market and driven by a small internal combustion engine - I shall fish around for my links to it in the next day or two.

The heavy lifting arms are and have been fitted to emergency rescue vehicles in place of and to assist the Jaws of life in Japan for a number of years now - Also they have been used on Ambuilance to assist the loading of Wheelchair/Stretcher bound patients - this too I shall find links for. I believe that America is also following suit on this usage.

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:14 am

SteamTrooper wrote:There is a production model of the walker coming out in the next few years - primarily targeted at the Hiking/Orienteering market and driven by a small internal combustion engine - I shall fish around for my links to it in the next day or two.

The heavy lifting arms are and have been fitted to emergency rescue vehicles in place of and to assist the Jaws of life in Japan for a number of years now - Also they have been used on Ambulance to assist the loading of Wheelchair/Stretcher bound patients - this too I shall find links for. I believe that America is also following suit on this usage.

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:47 pm

SteamTrooper wrote:There is a production model of the walker coming out in the next few years - primarily targeted at the Hiking/Orienteering market and driven by a small internal combustion engine - I shall fish around for my links to it in the next day or two.

The heavy lifting arms are and have been fitted to emergency rescue vehicles in place of and to assist the Jaws of life in Japan for a number of years now - Also they have been used on Ambuilance to assist the loading of Wheelchair/Stretcher bound patients - this too I shall find links for. I believe that America is also following suit on this usage.
Ooh, who is the maker?

ghostfox

hi guys

Post by ghostfox » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:14 am

hi there again i saw saome pics belive it or not that look like some one from japan (witch i do belive they will be the frist buliders of mecha) this guy bulit a huge i belive 18ft to 16ft tall mecha works and all but i dont rember the rest look like some thing out of battle tec?

so ya i saw it and that was it on tv i think like i said i dont rember
what about that little guy honda bulit? funny looking but like i said it will be japan first.

fulcy

Re: hi guys

Post by fulcy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:45 am

ghostfox wrote:hi there again i saw saome pics belive it or not that look like some one from japan (witch i do belive they will be the frist buliders of mecha) this guy bulit a huge i belive 18ft to 16ft tall mecha works and all but i dont rember the rest look like some thing out of battle tec?

what about that little guy honda bulit? funny looking but like i said it will be japan first.
What are you trying to say here?

ghostfox

Re: hi guys

Post by ghostfox » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:58 am

fulcy wrote:
ghostfox wrote:hi there again i saw saome pics belive it or not that look like some one from japan (witch i do belive they will be the frist buliders of mecha) this guy bulit a huge i belive 18ft to 16ft tall mecha works and all but i dont rember the rest look like some thing out of battle tec?

What are you trying to say here?

well what there tlaking tlaking about up there?

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:29 am

Ghostfox, bro...

Might I recommend that you keep 3 things in mind while you write your posts?

Those three things are:

1 - Punctuation
Commas (,) question marks (?), periods (.), exclamation points (!), parentheses (()), etc.

2 - Spelling
"witch i do belive" should be "WHICH I do believe." And "rember," "saome," and "tlaking" aren't words.

3 - Grammar
"well what there tlaking tlaking about up there?" is so fraught with problems I think I'll need to wear a radiation suit to approach it.

I mean, come on. Aren't schools supposed to teach people how to, oh, I don't know... WRITE?

Grebo

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:36 pm

Be nice Grebo. You have no idea why his spelling is bad.

To give you an example, I have a friend of mine who was so smart, she went to college early. Then she had a stroke. Now her spelling is atrocious and her handwritting is nigh illegible. Not her fault, but if she were to post on a message board, some people might make fun of her spelling and it wouldn't at all be justified...
Shinei!

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:58 pm

I guess I should be more charitable yeah... Fair enough.

But I dare you all to admit you were thinking the same things! ;)