Magic Knight Rayearth Manga

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Magic Knight Rayearth Manga

Post by Tachyon » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:03 pm

I finally found the time to finish the 6 books that make up the manga Magic Knight Rayearth. This isn't meant to be a formal review but I thought I'd post my thoughts on it.

Rayearth is a shoujo fantasy manga and really doesn't fit into the mecha genre. Still, Studio CLAMP has their priorities straight and put a good portion of mecha action into the story.

3 14-year old girls from modern day Tokyo are summoned across space and time to help the magical land of Cephiro by taking on the title of Magic Knights. In order to hold the title, they must pass several tests and accept magical armor, weapons and... giant piloted mecha formed by special guardian spirits.

After passing the tests they travel to the stronghold of the dark priest Zagato to free princess Emeraud. What neferious weapon does Zagato have waiting for them? A giant robot or course! (He's no fool.)

The 2nd story arc brings the girls back to Cephiro to help it with its second crisis. 3 other worlds attack Cephiro in attempts to gain mastery over it. Only one of these invaders, Autozahm, comes equipped with giant robots and naturally beats the magical devices of the other 2 invaders into submission. Hey, when you're packing a giant robot and the other guys aren't, it's no contest. Autozahm and one of the Magic Knights then face off to determine Cephiro's future in the only way fitting for a fantasy story... a giant robot brawl!

Magic Knight Rayearth was fun to read and I'd recommend it even though it's a bit sappy in parts and the ending is hard to swallow. What's not to like about a manga that resolves all serious issues with giant robot fights?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:54 pm

Did you see the anime series? if so, what do you think of it?

I have only played the saturn game, but it made me really interested in this series.
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:35 am

I have the art books and the translated manga but I haven't seen the anime.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:25 pm

I've seen tha Anime version. (though, not all of it, about 1/2 of the first season)

What I have seen is pretty good. If you liked the manga, chances are you will like the series. Its pretty faithful (but not 100% like most Anime versions of manga)
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:27 pm

Oh, btw; The Magic Knight Rayearth OAV is fantastic! Directed by Toshihiro Hirano, so you know the giant robot brawling is all good. Completely different from the Manga, but still very fun. Highly recommended.
Shinei!

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:12 am

I didn't like Magic Knight Rayearth at all. I didn't like anything about the story, the characters or their designs. Too bright, too cheerful, and they're all...too magical. I despise magical girl anything. I did thought the robots were interesting, but not enough to keep my attention.

Okay, I did like the twist CLAMP used on the relationship between Esmeralda and that "villian", but then again, despite keeping myself purposefully in the dark, I had an inkling that this was the case. CLAMP's already used that plot device in several of their stories, so I should have saved myself the eye rolling annoyance and read the last page as I customarily would have.

I don't recommend the first season. Second season is only marginally better. And yes, I've been told I'm not a very romantic woman.

S