Casshern

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Lalasa

Casshern

Post by Lalasa » Wed May 11, 2005 7:43 am

I hope this is the right catagory. If not, I'm sorry.

Has anyone seen the 2004 Casshern live action movie? The main bad guy seems to look almost exactly like Dante in the Devil May Cry games, clothing, white hair and all. Then again, it seems most bad guys in Japanese pop culture, and even American (Magneto of X-men comes to mind, and so does...whatever his name is in Mutant X), are usually white/grey/blond haired...

http://www.casshern.com/
http://www.dvdscan.com/casshern.htm
http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=3829
http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2004/ ... llery.html

There are some very beautiful machines in there. I'm not sure what they're called though, I've never seen the original anime series.

S

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Wed May 11, 2005 12:10 pm

Yes loved it - I placed a thread in Chatter months back.

I loved the look - I know what ur saying about that guy but I think youd have to go back way further than DMC - for one; there was a striking resemblance in attire, name and style to Tetsuo. Of course blond hair isnt that rare a site for me, neither is grey especailly for the old and infrim like Magneto - If you look around there is quite a lot written about hair colour within anime and manga and its meanings.

The fights were prety cool I thought - I was ko`d by the first real fight with Cashern v the Robots - who would have thought that it wasnt a fair fight after all?

Having known the old stuff I was glad to see his dog included, just a shame it wasnt the prototype Cashern as in the original - now that would not have been fair on the poor old robots.

For Mutant X - read Andy Warhol - well thats what I think anyhoo.

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Wed May 11, 2005 10:33 pm

How did you get the movie? My computer doesn't like me so I can't seem to search or even go back a few pages in any of the catagories to find your post.

I've been looking for the movie itself, but I don't see an American release date. I was thinking of netflix, but not having a credit card hampers things...
SteamTrooper wrote:...If you look around there is quite a lot written about hair colour within anime and manga and its meanings.
lol! I don't doubt it. Seems most anime/manga fans are obsessed with either the character's cool clothes or their hair. The only time I ever really notice such things is when they form an undeniable pattern or because it is an important part of the character's world.

S

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Thu May 12, 2005 12:53 pm

Oh I wouldnt like to say how I came by it? :roll: Lets just say a Japanese Princess dropped me a preview of Cashern (sorry to keep spelling it that way but the other way doesnt make any sense to my english sensibilities) and Appleseed the Movie a few months back. So why are you having troubles with your computer? I put the thread in Chatter stupidly so its not suprising you didnt spot it realy.

Im in England so Im not sure about American release dates - but generally you tend to get them a little while before we do. Couldnt you pay via Paypal or just good old cheque thats what I tend to do being a non-card carrying member of the cash-society myself :D ?

The hair thing I remember from about 20 years ago and I have to say I think its relevance died way back then too - seems to me that enuf people of different backgrounds have wacky hair colours that it would be hard to pick out a strange one these days.

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Mon May 16, 2005 9:29 am

SteamTrooper wrote:Oh I wouldnt like to say how I came by it? :roll: Lets just say a Japanese Princess dropped me a preview of Cashern...
Ah, I see. *grins* I have the same sort of...ah...agreement with my cousins in Japan. *laughs* But they did not like Casshern at the time, so they never mentioned it. Risks of having male cousins when one is female, I guess, and are currently mad at me...for something or other. So they're refusing to send me stuff. *grimaces*
SteamTrooper wrote:So why are you having troubles with your computer? I put the thread in Chatter stupidly so its not suprising you didnt spot it realy.
It's been happening with a few forums for a few months now. I don't know what the problem is, but every time I try to do something in a hurry, the page shuts down or goes to a page that says the entire place does not exist. @_@ Crazy.
SteamTrooper wrote:...Couldnt you pay via Paypal or just good old cheque thats what I tend to do being a non-card carrying member of the cash-society myself :D ?
...I don't have a bank account. *coughs* And I'm in my early 20's...
SteamTrooper wrote:The hair thing I remember from about 20 years ago and I have to say I think its relevance died way back then too...
That's what I thought as well. I guess, stereotypes are hard to kill. *laughs*

S

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Mon May 16, 2005 2:44 pm

I like action and graph quality in the this movie, but I have no idea what are the each characters doing in the movie. I am still very confusing now. :evil:
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Wed May 25, 2005 12:39 pm

It's been happening with a few forums for a few months now. I don't know what the problem is, but every time I try to do something in a hurry, the page shuts down or goes to a page that says the entire place does not exist. @_@ Crazy.
That is prety weird - wish I could help but Im totally tech free - more of a software man myself - try some tech forums for what its worth.

Im prety much totally against pirating - but given the long wait for releases and the actual quality we recieve over here (bad bad bad - very little ni way of commentary and extras); I dont mind occasionally `previewing` a release before buying it - Cashern and Appleseed are definate buys for me now so I hope I havent offended anyone by partaking of a free view.

2000yearold man - I dont think your alone in not completely understanding the story and characters motivations- its a prety nasty mess of a story - for one thing I dont think the main characters are good guys or bad guys which is sort of a change and quirk in itself.

2000YearsOldMan

to steamTrooper

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Wed May 25, 2005 6:39 pm

I am still dispoint and confusing of the Cashern.
But I agreed with you about the Appleseed movie, because I like it very much, even it is not that great on story telling. But the ending when I saw the mobile base walking in the city, the 7 bucks movie ticket is worth it.
I will go to buy the DVD of Appleseed shortly.
PS. there has three defferent sets of Appleseed DVD,
First regular version.
Second one is two discs special version.
Third one is two discs special version, but with a figure of that cyborg man with a big gun.
GOOD LUCK ON CHOOSING.

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 pm

Oh yeah Im not for one moment saynig Casshern is perfect - the story is a muddle and the direction is intentionally weird - but it does have some great fights.

Appleseed rocketh - but they stuck too much to the original manga story which was always a little ermm.. Japocentric - I just dont think I appreciate it as much as I should due to certain cultural differences - the whole bioroid/human thingy gets messy and in the film they keep some important plot stuff from you till to late in my opinion. Why they made Hitomi the one with the codes I just dont know - and in the version I watched -(dodgy subs) they changed several peoples names repeatedly during the film and made Bra a bioroid? - something he definatley isnt - hes just a cyborg.

And wasnt it about 7 of those mobile bases - they are just tanks you realise - blooming big ones with nasty rail cannon.

Briareos (hes the man) version I think - is it an action figure or more of a resin figurine type thing do you know?

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Sun May 29, 2005 5:19 pm

I think it is a action figure.
And for this version the price will be about $70!!
Don't you think is little bit too much?
On the next month I will go to NY China town, In there they have pretty good price for the a lot animes.
I think the Appleseed movie will probably cost $15.
As cheaper as good man.