Broken Blade

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Roadie

Broken Blade

Post by Roadie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:55 am

Just finished watching Broken Blade from Sentai Filmworks. Worth every penny.

Wow. This is mecha bash-up like it was supposed to be. There are bundles of reviews out there, so I don't wish to regurgitate some of the more typical points. However, I have to say that I am re-fired for mecha anime as a result. Mecha depression just set in post-Code Geass. So I figured I'd try this "little" anime. Blew me away.

The story is straight-up, nothing special, but the manner in which it is told and the limitations on the universe (these guys don't have a lot of metal, just quartz and some, as yet, unexplained method of manipulating it into metal-like products) bring the story a fresh angle. That angle is so freakin weird, it works. Steampunk entree meets Gundam sauce mixed with M1A2 Abrams with a dose of Gasaraki tossed in. The fights are just earthy and crunchy with some extreme attention paid to detail in the assault. No explosions as no one is toting explosive or beam weaponry; more like Escaflowne - but on a "modern" scale. You get a serious sense of size as these aren't toys pounding about, they are full-on mecha wielding all sorts of unusual weaponry.

Wow again. I really hope there are other films (each episode is a long 45/50 minutes) in the pipe. I'm not sure if the merchandizing was very successful in this anime's case. The Kotobukiya models were just heavy on cost and likely reduced the appeal.

In any case, if you are looking for solid ground-pounding mecha stomp with a twist, this is good choice. The dubbed version is fine and the character voice matching works.

Here's to hoping this anime has other seasons. I'll be really disappointed if not.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Broken Blade

Post by Tachyon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks. Sound great. I'll check it out.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.