Which is Most Powerful Starship ever?

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Daishikaze

Which is Most Powerful Starship ever?

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:07 pm

In all of anime-dom which starship is the most powerful?

if your choice is from a show we have never seen, please try to include a description (Or better yet a picture) of it.

Discuss!
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:19 pm

Gosh. I don't know. The Eltrium from Gunbuster? The SDF-1 from Macross? The alien flagship from Project A-ko?

I wouldn't guess the Will from Five Star Stories as it wasn't really built to be a battleship.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:15 pm

Its definately a tough decision, hopefully it will bring some great discussions and comparisons.
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Mave

Post by Mave » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:47 pm

I´d say some of them tree-ships from Tenchi Muyo. They are pretty rad and they seem powerful as ASS!

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:07 am

are we limited to tv and movie presentations? Or are other media available?

and by "Powerful" what criteria are we going to use? speed, destructive weapons, size, defensive systems, etc...

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:14 am

its all up to you, what ever criteria you think is necessary.

Anime TV, Movies, possibly Videogames can be included

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:45 am

Some kick ass Anime starships:

Arcadia (Harlock!)

Queen Emereldas

Eltrium (Gunbuster)

SDF-1 Macross (can't forget that one)

Megaroad (Macross 2012)

Solonoid mothership (Gall Force)

Rhine Maiden (XenoSaga...fantastically powerful battleship!)

MAPS (I forget the names of their "ships" but I remember them being fairly powerful)

And my all time favorite Anime warship:

The Sol Bianca! (same designer as for the orignal Tenchi Muyo ships: Atsuchi Takeuchi. Highly underrated designer)

Then there is The Will from The Five Star Stories. While not a powerful warship itself (it can defend itself, but its not built to destroy cities and armadas) it carries the entire Mirage MH fleet which is enough to put it at the top of the charts. Still not convinced? All it simply need do is allow the two Jagd Mirages its carrying to go topside and use them as mobile (very mobile!) cannons. 4 rapid-firing Buster cannons capable of destroying over 5% of an Eath-sized planet in a single blast at its disposal puts it at the top of the list I should imagine.

Did I miss any (beside the Tenchi Muyo ships...I forget their names)
Shinei!

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:51 pm

Nu Soard Graphite wrote: 4 rapid-firing Buster cannons capable of destroying over 5% of an Eath-sized planet in a single blast
Considering that the TwinTower Jagd Mirages can completely shatter a planet with their combined 4 buster cannons, that makes the will only 5% as powerful. Since they do this from space, they technically qualify as spaceships. (and even the deathstar could blow apart a planet in a single shot)

in "The Wanderer" by Simak (written in 1969) the Wanderer itself is a roughly spherical ship about 8000 miles in diameter (just over 1% bigger than the planet Earth). It uses gravitic beams to break apart rocky planets for fuel. It is a pirate ship, and later a slightly smaller police ship comes to arrest it, and succeeds. so I'll leave it up to you which is more powerful.

In star trek generations, there was a torpedo that triggers a nova in a main sequence star. The result pretty much destroys the star and all of the planets around it. I could also include the Genesis device, which destroys the old star system, and replaces it with one of the user's choice. Kinda nice for redecorating...so any ship with one of these would qualify as powerful, no matter what size it was.

Compare these to the Nova bombs in the Lensmen series. (BTW the athena from lensmen was pretty hot too)

Altron

Post by Altron » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:39 pm

We all know the SDF-1 was the best. I mean... it was... cool.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:35 am

Great choices NSG, all of them are personal favorites of mine as well, Especially the Sol Bianca

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:50 pm

Altron wrote:We all know the SDF-1 was the best. I mean... it was... cool.
In Macross II, the UN Spacy had a fleet of SIX (yes, six) "Macross Cannon" ships... Each one was built much like the Macross, but was almost 6000m long. Each one of the two "towers" on the shoulders was actually a Breetai flagship-class Zentraedi ship, remodeled and integrated into the Macross Cannon design!

Also, Im shocked and apalled that nobody here has mentioned the mother of all space battleships... the one, the only... Space Cruiser YAMATO.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:46 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Yamato myself, but we have gotten some good candidates listed so far.

Those Macross Cannon ships looked awesome, not only did they have Zentradi flagships on the shoulders, but also as arms, replacing the traditional Daedalus arms. Did they get used in the OVAs or did they just show us they had them? I would imaging those would be some damn powerful ships with that kind of fire power.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:36 pm

Star Cruiser Yamato is indeed a worthy ship and I confess a sentimental attachment from watching it on TV in my younger days. When I started into this thread I thought for a moment and decided if the Eltrium or Macross met it in space for a showdown, as much as I like the Yamato, it would probably lose the fight.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:16 pm

You know, the Yamato did cross my mind, but since I had already listed the Arcadia, I figured I had that universe covered. Isn't the Arcadia simply an Earth Force ship turned privateer? Same main cannon if I remember correctly.

I also thought about the Macross Cannons from Macross II: Lovers Again, but since I already listed both the Macross and the Megaroad, I figured listing the Cannons would be kinda redundant.
Shinei!

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:06 am

I never saw the Arcadia use a main gun, but then I have only seen Arcadia of My Youth, Harlock Saga, and the 2 Galaxy Express movies so I might have missed it.

anyway, since people can't remember the names for the tenchi ships:

Ryo-Ohki

Ryu-Oh

Tsunami

Yagami (TV)

Yukinojo (OVA)

Shoja

Ken-Ohki (TV)

I think thats all of them (with names, Of Course there were alot of other ships that didn't have names).