Heavy Metal L-Gaim

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:38 pm

so the HK isn't worth the money, and I should wait for R1 release, Ok no prob.

I hope it gets licensed soon
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:32 pm

I just read that ADV has the rights to The Five Star Stories movie, could this mean that they might get L-Gaim in the future?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:35 pm

Probably. ADV has and/or tends to get the vast majority of all anime licenses...

Poseidal

Post by Poseidal » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:35 pm

Unfortunately (or fortunately), L-Gaim wasn't that popular so I wouldn't expect a R1 release for a while; there are bigger cash cows out there. I'm afraid it's HK subs or some of the special edition boxes ten. (or original tapes, if they exist.)

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:46 pm

why say fortunately? Is it a bad series? or just that it didn't click with its audience?

Poseidal

Post by Poseidal » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:11 pm

L-Gaim is my favourite series of all time, and whilst I wouldn't mind it being available on R1, some other people may not like the idea; other issues are I rather it not be licensed than a company sit on it and never release anything of it. Also, I fear it might give out some ZZ vibes, and whille I liked ZZ, I hear many people did not due to it's humourous nature, and L-Gaim has some comedy at times.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:55 pm

Actually, I wouldn't worry too much about the "ZZ Effect" for L-Gaim. ZZ was *inappropriately* humorous, and it was also really poorly written -- well, more accurately, poorly plotted. L-Gaim doesn't suffer from these problems. It was a way cool show (and there would have been no Zeta Gundam without it)!

Quiddity

Post by Quiddity » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:11 am

I'm working my way through L-Gaim for the first time vvvveeeerrrryyy slowly. Started watching it back in November, but put it on the backburner for a while after getting my Zeta Gundam boxset. Finally ready to start getting back into it again (around episode 30 or so) but with my tough work schedule I often find myself so wiped out when I get out at home I fall asleep watching it :P

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it thus far and look forward to getting into Five Star Stories when I'm done with it. A very likeable cast, a rather upbeat story compared to what we usually get from Tomino, and good character designs (maybe not the best animated, but give me an old school character designer like Yoshikazu Yasuhiko or Tomonori Kogawa or in this case Nagano over a crackpot like Hirai of Gundam Seed any day! :)) Good music too (particularly the second opening). My one complaint is that its quite slow moving. Can I expect a faster paced plot over the last 25 eps?

Got nearly the rest of the series fansubbed on VHS, but fear that I will have to get the bootlegs since I think I'm missing the last few episodes. Hate going that route, but may be the only way to finish up the show.

Mechanical Specimen

Post by Mechanical Specimen » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:46 am

L-Gaim is a great show,though it may not be as dark and deep as Ideon,Dunbine,and Gundam Zeta,it was a rock and rolling space adventure,and of course,the blue print for the long running classic The Five Star Stories.

What I loved about the character designs was the fact THEY ALL looked like rock stars(Nagano admits to being an enormous music fan,and uses whatever references he can get away with in his works.) Infact,if one notices closey the way the L-Gaim Mk.II holds the buster launcher,it looks like's jamming out to an electric guitar(Infact the energy pack and cable are reminiscent to a guitar and amp plug.)

But what I loved was how animators Hiroyuki Kitazume,Hidetoshi Ohmori,and Naoyuki Onda(All three worked on such works like Ideon,Dunbine,Gundam Zeta,and Gundam Double Zeta) gave Nagano's designs a fluidity,sure some episodes the animation can be lackluster,other times it shines.

I sadly have the HK DVD boxset,a sorry excuse to replace my old and dusty fansub tapes,sort of a rushed desperate act since it will be a long time before any US company decides to release the damn series(Infact there are many 80s series still who have yet to be given proper DVD releases in the US...)

Though not Tomino's dark and edgey works that have made him a legend in all circles of anime fandom,I think L-Gaim is worth a look.Sure it has slow pacing,Macross esque love triangles(Or octagons?),slap stick comedy
but it's a stylish classic the 80s gave us and I'd watch it again and again over alot of reproduced Zerox copies of random series nowadays.

Poseidal

Post by Poseidal » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:02 am

I love the plot twist at the end... although FSS would spoil it slightly, it goes differently than in FSS.

The guitar and amp thing... I never thought of that, I just thought 'cables to the crotch'. But it makes sense, if you go with the music imigery.

Anyway, you see a lot of the Heavy Metals returning as FSS MH, even recently, with MM Auge with it's scythe, Groon appearing; also LED Mirage, aka L-Gaim Blood temple which never made it into the animation.

Mechanical Specimen

Post by Mechanical Specimen » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:04 am

Funny,if you scroll through any of the old L-Gaim artbooks,the Blood Temple is almost everywhere.I wonder infact if it was meant to really be an Original Heavy Metal....personaly used by Posiedal or one of the Temple Knights...but then again,the Blood Temple and the Fatima idea reappeared in FSS shortly afterwards.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:03 pm

Damn, the more I read about it the more I want to see it, but I don't want buy the bootlegged DVDs. SOMEBODY PLEASE RELEASE IT IN THE WEST WITH SUBTITLES!!!!!!

Quiddity

Post by Quiddity » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:44 pm

Daishikaze wrote:Damn, the more I read about it the more I want to see it, but I don't want buy the bootlegged DVDs. SOMEBODY PLEASE RELEASE IT IN THE WEST WITH SUBTITLES!!!!!!
You can get it on fansubs on VHS (thats what I've done, although my source is missing a few of the last few episodes) if you want to avoid the bootlegs on ebay and don't want to wait for a US release that in all odds won't come. I'd post a link to my source but as a new member to these forums I'm not sure if thats allowed so I'll hold off on it for now.

Quiddity

Post by Quiddity » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:59 am

Does anybody know who Quwasan Olibee's voice actress is? She's the last character I haven't been able to identify the VA for, even after looking on the internet...

Quiddity

Post by Quiddity » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:30 am

Looks like no one knew the answer to my last question, how about this one. Can anyone give me info on the L-Gaim OVA's? I've seen them up on ebay and have an art book for them. It looks like there's atleast 3 of them and they feature the characters from the series, but outside of that there isn't much detail I know about them. Anyone out there who can tell me their relation to the series, like do they take place during/after the series or are they an alternate telling, and any production info, like when they came out and if there was any major staff change? Thanks.