Questions on Yukikaze

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Questions on Yukikaze

Post by Tachyon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:40 pm

In preparation for bringing Newton's kind donation of Yukikaze material to the Web, I'm starting to watch Yukikaze. I've watched the first of 5 episodes so far (subtitled - BitTorrent downloads) and I'm lost.

I understand that the JAM are mysterious, hostile aliens but I don't understand much else. What's up with the Yukikaze jet fighter? It seemed to be alive before it was destroyed at the end of the episode. Are the JAM taking over human jet fighters? Was that the fighter Rei shot down at the beginning of the episode?

I was scratching my head through most of the episode. Does it stay cryptic like that the whole way through?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:30 pm

I've watched all 5 episodes now. I really liked it!

Does anyone know how the Yukikaze develops such an advanced AI? Is it part JAM?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:04 pm

I watched the Mave-chan OAV so now I understand the girl images in the back of the doujinshi. I also found some more Yukikaze line art online so I'm ready to start planning the section on Gears Online.

Newton

Post by Newton » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:57 pm

Glad you liked it!

Yukikaze really has to be taken for what it is: a love triangle between two guys and a fighter jet AI. Even after repeat viewings, it's hard to tell whether Yukikaze was somehow influenced by its encounters with the JAM, or whether it's just a smart cookie. I'll probably never know since I can't read Japanese; I'll wager the novels clear up a lot of mysteries.

In the end, I figure it's just too sentient for its own good, and chose to die with Fukai rather than face what was probably waiting back on Earth - decommission, deactivation and dissection. Besides, Lt. Fukai would have been completely wrecked by the loss of the only being that understood him.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:47 am

So Fukai and Yukikaze died in the final battle? I thought from the scene of him boomeranging with Jack at the end, and the other scene of Jack dismissing a room full of pilots, that Fukai survived and returned to Earth.

It was a confusing ending for me.

Newton

Post by Newton » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:16 pm

Yeah, it is a tad confusing. But, if you look at that last sequence again, the reporter looks back and *thinks* she sees Fukai; she looks again, and sees that Bukhar is alone.

Fukai and Yukikaze had the controls for all the FlipKnight nukes. The only way to close the gate was to lead all the FlipKnights into the eye of the gate and detonate them simultaneously.

Ahh, the joys of true love! :)