Ideon - A Re-imagining?

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ideon - A Re-imagining?

Post by Tachyon » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:49 pm

2 images at Fun Bolt show an artist "re-imagining" the look of the Ideon and its support ship from the Ideon TV show. What do you guys think?

http://fun-bolt.sakura.ne.jp/rakugaki/d ... 004839.jpg
http://fun-bolt.sakura.ne.jp/rakugaki/d ... 004834.jpg

Gears Online has some Ideon information:
http://www.gearsonline.net/ideon/

For those who are interested, Ideon can be downloaded and viewed.
http://a.scarywater.net/shin-getter/
(look under: Space Runaway Ideon)
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Newton

Post by Newton » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:58 pm

I LOVE those redesigns!

The Kobayashi Ideon was the best imagining of the mech I've ever seen. This version is based on Kobayashi's original model. The redesigned Solo Ship is also Kobayashi-based (from his Hyper Weapon books).

They make the visual difference with Ideon, taking it from "the biggest GM in the universe!", to being an alien force of nature. I always felt that having Okawara do the Ideon designs was a BIG mistake.

Poseidal

Post by Poseidal » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:30 pm

It looks a lot like the Dragon's Heaven machines there.

I'm a big fan of that sort of design, but is seems almost too organic for Ideon almost XD

One thing I would have though, is rather than claws I would have opposable thumbs.

Sorrow Ship looks kind of fat there too.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:19 pm

I like these re-designs. It makes the Ideon and Solo Ship look more strange and alien - and isn't that how the Ideon was supposed to be seen? From what I've heard, throughout the show everyone is wondering where the Ideon came from and what it's really capable of. The Ideon as it appeared in the TV show was so very "normal" looking. It's simply design and lines make it look friendly to me. Something you'd expect to see rolling off a very human assembly line.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:24 am

Hard to say, while I think alien-ish Ideon is great idea. It maybe hidden message that the sixth culture (Ideon's creator), Earthling and Buff-clan are actually relative. Despite being apart in distance stars and have some cultural difference, they're same. Thus, Ideon's Giant GM-look is reasonable.
Justice will never lose!

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:43 am

How so? The Buff Clan designs were radically different from the Earth designs. A third species' mecha design would have a completely different design ethic. It certainly wouldn't have 3 oversized Winnebago campers that gattai to form an oversized GM.

The new designs are obviously built by human-type beings, but reflect a different ethos from either Earth or the Buff Clan. All the dialogue in Ideon regarding the mech fosters a much different design idea than the one shown in the series.

It's obvious that Makoto Kobayashi didn't like the Okawara designs, either. He was the first to re-design Ideon. The Fun-Bolt poster extrapolated from Kobayashi's designs, and good on him/her.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:46 am

I admit, it's just my guess.

Another theory is out-of-universe. The giant GM look is to make kids feel it friendly. We suppose to jump in excite that Ideon turn Buff Clan into scrap in early episode, thinking that it's giant protector from lost civilization. But slowly, we will learn that while it's indeed powerful, it isn't protector. Ideon bring calamity and hatre whereever it go, yet Cosmo and friend need it to survive. With alien-look, while very reasonable, we most likely aware that there is something bad behind that power from start.
Justice will never lose!