Getting To Know Votoms

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Getting To Know Votoms

Post by Tachyon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:43 am

I'm 7 episodes into Votoms now. I'm thankful for this oppotunity to see one of the seminal works of the 80's mecha era. I like the show but it's not one of my favorites. I prefer more fantastical elements in my entertainment and Votoms is very much a "hard sci-fi" story. I know a lot of people who like near-future/more-realistic sci-fi stories so I suspect Votoms would be big in North America if more people had exposure to it. The fact that it's only subtitled may limit its chances of catching on.

It took me a few episodes to get into the story but now I'm eager to see where things go. Chirico is a resourceful man and seeing him outsmart his enemies never disappoints.

To give people an idea of how big Votoms is in Japan, Hobby Japan Magazine is currently running a new Votoms serialized novel with new artwork featuring characters and mecha. Votoms is 24 years old and you still see it everywhere. It rates up with Macross and Gundam in terms of fan following.

Buying the DVD box set was a good move for someone like me. It comes with a booklet explaining the overall story and setting, info on what the creators were thinking back in 1983 and a guide to merchandise and spin off stories.

I know there are a lot of people here who love 80's mecha stories. Votoms can be rented from NetFlix so why not give it a try?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:57 am

I finally got my ammo can set yesterday, and finished the Voodo City arc. I love what I have seen so far, its definately one of the best mecha series I've ever seen. I'm going to try and finished the Kummen Jungle Wars arc tonight.

I really wish this show would take off in the west so we could see all the OVAs too.
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:51 pm

Yeah, I wish I could see the OAVs. I'd really like to see Armor Hunter Mellowlink subtitled. The mech Designs for the Blue Knight story are very cool.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.