Some Thoughts on Gravion Zwei

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some Thoughts on Gravion Zwei

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:07 pm

I finished Gravion Zwei the other day and thought I'd share my thoughts on it. I really liked it. It had the elements to be something really cool but for a few reasons I'd label it "pretty cool." Still, I recommend it to most mecha fans.

What I liked:

1) Great mecha action! This show had it in spades and I enjoyed every minute of it.

2) The jokes and tributes to classic super robot anime. I laughed a lot when the blonde EFA pilot parodied typical lines from super robot shows of the past. Also, the nature of the Gravion robot and how it called out its attacks. The rocket punch from Mazinger was fun to watch.

3) Impressive visuals. Masami Oobari doesn't disappoint when it comes to great visuals.

4) The sense of drama in the show was something I wish we could see more of. Too many shows try to be "modern" and lose the heart and emotion of anime's hallowed past.

What I didn't like:
1) More and more anime these days are putting in fan service and characters with large breasts that jiggle around a lot. Gravion/Gravion Zwei falls into this camp. For the first episode I smirked a few times but by the 2nd episode it got annoying. If a director wants me to take his action show seriously it helps if the sexy stuff is kept to a minimum and shown at times in the story that won't detract from action and plot exposition. Plus, a lot of us anime fans are married and we have wives that just don't like that stuff. Look at me. I had to wait until my wife and children were out of town to rent it. I don't dare buy it because the box features female characters wearing lingerie.

2) Many people think Zwei is the sequal to Gravion. It isn't. Together they make up one 25 episode TV show. The confusion comes from marketing buzz. I guess it made it easier to sell to certain distributors or cable TV stations. Godannar didn't have this problem. They just declared "season 2" after episode 13.

3) The details of the plot weren't handled so well. I'm a nut for sci-fi plot details. Why are the aliens attacking? Why did they keep such-and-such a secret for hundreds of years? That's my thing. So when the story's background starting getting revealed in Zwei I was ready to receive it. However, not enough information was given on why the calamity was occurring to the twin alien planets. What was Zeravire's plan? Why did he build the killer machines? What was Zieg's plan? More time was needed to communicate the underpinning plot to the viewers. Also, what was up with G factor genes in humans? Where did they come from? What were they? How did they make people different?

4) Too much time was spent watching the characters putz around. This show was billed as sci-fi action. So lets see more of it instead of long, drawn-out picnics.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:49 am

About the Fanservice:

Masami Oobari is the director. Even though he cut his teeth on such classic anime as Dangaio (as a secondary Mecha Designer) and Bubblegum Crisis (as a mechanical designer and as director of several episodes...most notably the best episodes of the series...ep5 and ep6) he is more well known as the director of such anime tittles as Fatal Fury and Voltage Fighter Gowkaiser; both of which are well known for their fanservice. With Masami Oobari at the helm, jiggly breasts are to be expected. (fortunately there were no jigglies in Detonator Orgun)
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:52 am

btw, just subscribed to the Anime Network On Demand and saw the first episode of Godannar.

Awsome show. I look forward to seeing a lot more of this tittle.
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:32 am

I've watched the first 13 episodes of Godannar and look forward to finishing the show. They sprinkled in some interesting ideas but I want to see if they develop them well before the show ends.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.