More Stuff to Watch

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Newton

More Stuff to Watch

Post by Newton » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:57 pm

To continue my rant about new shows, I submit the following:

Sokou no STRAIN just started in Japan. It's similar to Stellvia in that there is a young heroine in a space flight academy, and there's that Gunbuster vibe going on. However, the plot twist of the enemy ace being the heroine's older brother is very poignant.

The mecha design is inspired, featuring the insectile, anti-gravity driven STRAINs. They're really graceful and moth-like designs, and their CGI aerobatics are impressive. In episode 1, we're treated to the uniquely-styled planet-based launchers. They're interesting in that they require the mech to perform a backflip to fit in the launch cradle. The cool thing is that the director makes this maneuver look tight rather than ridiculous.

I'm hooked after the first two episodes, which they were kind enough to release simultaneously.

Also, there's stuff to look for in 2007. Next year features the re-launch of two great series: Yuusha Raideen, and Dancougar. I haven't found much visual info on the new shows yet, but what I have been able to scare up looks way cool. Google "Shin Dancougar" and check out the results. Masami Ohbari is back in his mechanical element heading up the project.

Raideen has a website, but there is only one tantalizing production poster up. Just the hand design alone has got me intrigued. Also, I personally am eager to see the new post-Raxhephon Raideen design (Raxhephon was HEAVILY influenced by Raideen).

Finally, there's a new Giant Robo series coming! This one hews closer to the original story, and is the final project of the series creator and manga-ka. Check out both the English language and the Japanese websites for GR - there's cool site-specific stuff on both.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:23 am

Thanks for the news! I'll be watching for any signs of these.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.