Orguss Mecha Question (Bike)

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Orguss Mecha Question (Bike)

Post by Tachyon » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:35 am

The best I can do to get a name for the Emaan hover cycles is "inertia control scooter, pakki--"

I need some help with this. Under a picture of Mimsy riding one of them it says:
慣性制御スクーター、パッキーに乗ったミムジイ。

Another illustration on the same page shows the scooter room with all the scooters hung on a rack. It has (hand written):
パッキーハンガー

Should I call these things pakkees? It sounds real close to Pocky! Maybe I should just say "Emaan scooter."

Any help is appreciated.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:16 am

Don't know what to do about the 'pakkii' name, but I believe ハンガー = 'hanger'.

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:30 pm

Tachyon:

Given that there's a 'tsu' character in the bike name, I'd suggest Paaki as the english transliteration. 'Hangaa' is the romanization for the second word, which transliterates to "hangar", i.e., "a place for storing vehicles" as opposed to "hanger".

The 'tsu' character, when used in subscript, is an elision symbol, just like the "lengthener line" at the end of "hanga"

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:31 pm

To further complicate things, the bike names could also be written as "Parky". However, that sounds really lame to me...

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:43 pm

Newton wrote:Tachyon:

Given that there's a 'tsu' character in the bike name, I'd suggest Paaki as the english transliteration. 'Hangaa' is the romanization for the second word, which transliterates to "hangar", i.e., "a place for storing vehicles" as opposed to "hanger".

The 'tsu' character, when used in subscript, is an elision symbol, just like the "lengthener line" at the end of "hanga"
Yes, I meant hangar. Poor spelling on my part there.

The 'tsu' functions to double the following consonant.

'Paaki' would be written as パーキ.

パッキー = 'pakkii'.

Newton

Post by Newton » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:33 am

I type corrected. I was not aware that "tsu" doubles the consonant - learn somethin' new every day! :)