New Giant Robo Coming!

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Newton

New Giant Robo Coming!

Post by Newton » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:23 pm

I just found out about this today. I submit this URL for your checking-out pleasure:

http://www.gr-anime.com/index.html

The design work isn't as intense as Mr. Kobayashi's, but it's got potential. Check out the storyline, too. It looks like it could be really cool.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:12 pm

Thanks for the link. It certainly does look interesting.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

tetsujin

Post by tetsujin » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:24 pm

This looks great! Love the new designs.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:39 am

Hard to say...I feel it's a little too slim for GR. Then again, Imagawa unlikely to disappoint when direct Super Robot show and I may forget that issue when see it animate :D .
Justice will never lose!

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:30 pm

I'm quite frankly less than thrilled- scratch that- I'm offended by the prospect.

Giant Robo- the animation is one of my all time favorite series. Everything about it was spectacular- the characters- the mecha- the music- and most importantly- the setting and the plot!

This new project shares only the name with it's stellar predecessor- since the animation left off with a hint of more adventures to come- I'm completely P--sed OFF that the new show is not going to pursue that plot thread and is instead going to be a 're-imagining'

It may be a good mecha show with a blue and red- pharoe's head robot- but this new show IS NOT GIANT ROBO! BOO!

Engage

Post by Engage » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:33 pm

Nightmare, you are aware that the 1990 something Giant Robo animation was a reimagining of the live action tv show right? Besides, what plot thread is there to continue from the animation?

Anyway, I'm not too sure on the design of some of the mecha, but I am still going to watch it.

tetsujin

Post by tetsujin » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:54 am

Hah! I was going to jump on the Johnny Sokko thing thing but Engage beat me to it! Too bad, with my icon it only seems natural to disagree with the nightmare of solomon... :D
It's good to be doubtful about the quality of a new show like this, with such big shoes to fill. I think it's pretty obvious that the crew that did Giant Robo love the genre and put all of that into the anime. I have a tough time thinking the new one will be as good -but it's still something to look forward to.
The robots look great as well -kinda in between the anime and the live action. They do look a bit more like Big O than something Mokoto Kobayashi would come up with though. Mmmm, or maybe like something from Rockman Dash.

For anyone who hasn't seen 'em-
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 397&size=o

Ninjascience's Flickr is awesome BTW.

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:22 pm

reply to Engage-

I was very aware of the conection between the live action and animated Giant Robo- When "Johny Sokko and his Giant Robot" was aired in the US, I was about 4 or 5 years old- it was the first film I was ever allowed to stay up past my bedtime for- I remember it fondly-
although not necessarily completely.

It was that memory which drew me to a world premiere showing of "Giant Robo the animation" at Anime Expo- (or was it still Anime Con back then?)- A courier arrived from Japan with a sealed film-can for review by one of the animation studio's heads, who was attending the con as a GOH. an ad hoc screening was arranged- and I just happened to see the penned in schedule and wondered if this 'Giant Robo' could be at all like the 'Giant Robot' of my youth.

I was not dissappointed- from the first note of the soundtrack, to the last scene- I was totally caught up in the expierience of GR- and it was an expierience- 8 plus years of it! it's hard enough waiting weeks or months for the next batch of translated fan-subs of your favorite show- With GR, the wait was literally years- and translations only came much later- It didn't matter- GR was that good-

Loving GR was almost a way of life in and of itself- In 1999, Inspired by a wrong turn at a Home Depot,and a lucky find of an abandoned Weber BBQ, I constructed an award winning costume of the big G- I won a Judges award at AX and went on to win Best of Show at San Diego Comic Con. I really loved that show.

In true superheroic fashion, even when the Crisis of the Black Attache Case was resolved in episode 7, the final confrontation with Big Fire was hinted at... "stay tuned for the Last stand at the Tower of Babel!"- a dangling plot thread of EPIC proportions, if I ever saw one. I've been looking forward to that possibility for nearly a decade and now.... Squat!

Until I see it the new show, I'll reserve final judgement. I may enjoy it for it's own merits- But it's obviously not the continiued adventures of the Experts of Justice vs. Big Fire. I liken it to Gundam Wing- pretty cool in it's own right(maybe), but definately not Gundam. Nope- definately not GR.

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:16 am

the quality the animation looks not bad, hope the stoy is good too.
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com

tetsujin

Post by tetsujin » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:49 pm

Looks like the first one will be out on the 19nth!

http://sg-tv.jp/items/item.phtml?id=753

tetsujin

Post by tetsujin » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:57 pm

StarBomber109

Post by StarBomber109 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:53 pm

My GOD that looks sweet! I'll be watching that first episode when I get home...

Meantime, who's the mecha designer? (I think I missed it...)