Orguss Mecha Question

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Norsehound

Post by Norsehound » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:09 am

Main bow-firing cannon is a mouthful to say.

So instead we call it the Macross cannon.

I'd call it the Hasai cannon, easier to say, easier to type, and much cooler than "Demolisher cannon"

Knowlton

Post by Knowlton » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:45 pm

I don't know if this is any help, but the M.Lover / M.Rover debate reminds me of something.

When I lived in Hong Kong, the Chinese had a hard time pronouncing certain english words with the 'L' letter. They would always pronounce them with an 'R' in it's place. So my sister Kelly was always called Kerry everywhere she went. There was another letter they had problems with, but I couldn't remember what it was.

To make a long story short, it isn't always a direct word for word transaction that is the problem, but how the word is pronounced. I am sure the translator knew the right english letters to use to spell out how HE pronounced the word, but wasn't pronouncing the word right to begin with. Take the Dougram Battle of Stanrey game for example; I am 100% sure from my experiences in asia that they were trying to spell 'Stanley', but had the same problem with the L that they had with my sister's name.

Of course, I've always thought the Japanese could use two translators: one for the translation of Japanese to Sort-Of-English, and then another from Sort-Of-English to English. :P

I am sure it was intended to be M.Rover.