Orguss Question

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Orguss Question

Post by Tachyon » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:14 am

Does anyone know the Japanese words for lieutenant and colonel? I'm really having trouble finding the name for the robot character in Orguss. The American Web site has it as "Tai" but I can't confirm that. The This is Animation The Select volumes don't even list this character at all. I can't find any source that displays this character's name.

The only thing I have to go on is in the Orguss 02 OAVs the main character says "Tai" when he's talking to the robot guy that survived from the first Orguss series.

This is so frustrating!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:21 pm

Taii ? is 大尉 - Captain

2nd lieutenant 少尉 Shoui
1st lieutenant 中尉 Chuui
colonel 大佐 Taisa

Whitewolf's den have a good list...
http://side7.gundam.com/whitewolf/

direct link to the ranks page
http://side7.gundam.com/whitewolf/texts/rankENGv20.txt
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:25 pm

Thank you! Thank you so much. Now I can see that the Orguss Viewers Guide and the Orguss 02 DVD from Manga Entertainment were BOTH wrong! The DVD says colonel (and the Subtitles say "Cornel" :D ) and the Viewers Guide said Lieutenant. It's so nice to finally sort this out.

I took my English to Japanese dictionary off the shelf and looked up both rank names but neither gave me something that sounded like "taii" (and, yes, the main character does make a longer "ee" sound when he calls the robot's name).

http://side7.gundam.com/whitewolf/texts/rankENGv20.txt
This page doesn't seem to display the Japanese characters correctly. Does it work for you?

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:33 am

In Legend of Galactic Heroes, I guess "Admiral" is said "kakka", or something like that.
Well in French it's pretty close to "caca" which mean... poo :wink: I got used to it :P

Newton

Post by Newton » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:51 am

Kakka is also translated as "Your Excellency."

Submarinr 707R uses another word for Admiral. I'll rsesarch it and get back to you on this.

Newton

Post by Newton » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:58 am

Admiral = shoukan, daishou, taishou, teitoku. Teitoku is the term used in Submarine 707R.

"Kakka" is definitely "Your Excellency"

Source: http://www.freedict.com/onldict/jap.html

Newton

Post by Newton » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:01 am

Tachyon:

Also remember that rank names vary depending on whether they are land or naval forces.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:09 am

Tachyon wrote: http://side7.gundam.com/whitewolf/texts/rankENGv20.txt
This page doesn't seem to display the Japanese characters correctly. Does it work for you?
yes it works. my browser uses Japanese (Shift_JIS) encoding. see if it works for u.
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:57 pm

Newton wrote:Also remember that rank names vary depending on whether they are land or naval forces.
My English to Japanese dictionary seems to differentiate between army and navy. I'll try to remember to quote it later today. It agrees with taii for captain. I'm glad this is sorted out. It's too bad the Orguss Viewers Guide is incorrect. But how did Manga Entertainment's translators miss it?
Rubel wrote:yes it works. my browser uses Japanese (Shift_JIS) encoding. see if it works for u.
I see it now. Thanks! The link is a .txt file and Firefox defaults to Western (ISO-8859-1) which garbles it complelely. When I manually switch the character encoding to Japanese (Shift_JIS) it cleans up nicely. It threw me for a loop. The Web master should change it to an HTML file. That way the character encoding could be set and less people would be confused. The fact that the site is done with frames only adds to the confusion.

Newton

Post by Newton » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:41 pm

But how did Manga Entertainment's translators miss it?
Well, based on the translators I know, knowledge of one's subject is optional to be hired by most distributors. As long as the translator can provide proof of some kind of fluency, they are allowed to be as ignorant as they want regarding the details of the project they are assigned to do.

This also includes taking liberties with the interpretation of the original text (Neil Nadelman).

Norsehound

Post by Norsehound » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:35 pm

I always called him "Tai"

He changes his name in Orguss2, which is supposed to be a kind of tounge-in-cheek promotion (since Tai is lieutenant or somesuch, and colonel is the japanes equivelant name in Orguss2