Votoms and Dougram: Board games

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Norsehound

Votoms and Dougram: Board games

Post by Norsehound » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:30 pm

Hi all.

As an avid wargamer and finding interest in these military mecha dramas, I thought about seeking out the board games that I know exist for these series. Haven't found much yet, other than some links on the internet, but I was wondering if anyone else had any information/knowledge/interest in such a topic.

And no, these are not videogames, but board-and-paper wargames that came out before consoles invaded the home.

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:39 pm

I had the opportunity to play the Dougram board game many years ago- A freind of mine ran a comic shop and aquirred a copy- ( he also got the rules translated- very important)

The game came with a hex map- and several micro figures of the mecha- as well as figures for trees and other terrain.

It was pretty simple- rules wise- hex based- each unit could move a certain amount- If I remember correctly- it used dice to determine weapon strength vs- armour strength.

What really made it neat, however, was the reverse persicopes- to determine line of sight- you would place the periscope down in the hex your mech was in and look in through the top of the periscope-the bottom mirror reflected across the map from the mech's height- about a 1/2 in or so- if trees or other terrain obscured your view- you couldn't attack-

If you can aquire a copy- do it- ^_^

(sorry no knowledge of the other game- and no idea where to look for either at the present time)

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:50 am

What really made it neat, however, was the reverse persicopes- to determine line of sight- you would place the periscope down in the hex your mech was in and look in through the top of the periscope-the bottom mirror reflected across the map from the mech's height- about a 1/2 in or so- if trees or other terrain obscured your view- you couldn't attack-
Wow! That so cool! Simple, yet very innovative and provide players with great feeling!
Justice will never lose!

Knowlton

Post by Knowlton » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:21 pm

I just wrote a freaking huge review and the *#%@^# forum ate it. Check out www.system17.com for the Battle of Stanrey. I'll have Kalnock up later this week. I used to have the Votoms game but I sold it. I'll re-write my review when I am in a better mood.

Knowlton

Post by Knowlton » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:30 pm

OH MY GOD IT DID IT AGAIN. M@THERF%CKER.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:34 pm

I hadn't heard of the message board doing that to people before now. I'd be happy to load up any material that you Email to me.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Knowlton

Post by Knowlton » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:48 pm

No, I just hit Submit and it asked me for my log in information again. . . I couldn't go back.

Knowlton

Post by Knowlton » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:02 pm

Okay, I've updated both games on www.system17.com Enjoy.

OMG AND THE SITE ATE MY VOTOMS REVIEW AGAIN! ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!