Super Dimensional Century: Orguss

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Norsehound

Super Dimensional Century: Orguss

Post by Norsehound » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:54 am

Every now and then when I invade a new board ('specially one with mecha), I'll ask about this series to see if there are any fellow fans.

And no, I do NOT mean Orguss 2. I mean the genuine, origional Orguss, stablemate to and forgotten under the other Super Dimensional titles, FORTRESS (macross), and CAVALRY (Southern Cross).

So far I've only been able to get to see the series by HK bootleg, purchased from Animetoxic.com when they still had copies. So far it holds up, but the subtitle quality is poor (not poor enough to be illegible...). From what I've heard, though Harmony Gold has hands on Southern Cross and Macross (Formed together with Mospedia to make Row-Boat-Tech!), they do not have the rights to Orguss. A company that did went out of buisness in mid-dubbing, thus Orguss never had a complete Dub, even in poor HK renditions :D

Anyway, just felt like breezing in here and asking, mostly because this is a series I particularly champion even though time and animation seems to have forgotten it.

As for the plot... well... look at the title. Dimensional instabability anyone?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:47 pm

I really like the mecha designs from Orguss and I've heard a brief summary of the plot but I never got to see it. I keep hoping one of the North American companies will acquire rights and release a sub/dub version on DVD. I'd sure buy it.

Back when I started Gears Online I wanted to do an Orguss section but I only have one art book that is lacking in color illustrations and I can't bring myself to tear it up for the scanner. I'm hoping I someday come across some good art books for sale.

As for Orguss 2, I have the DVD and I liked it. It wasn't the same sort of thing as the first Orguss but taken by itself I thought it was a great OAV miniseries.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:21 pm

While never watch the serie, I think the "shattered world" setting of Orguss is very creative. And mecha design is great (I especially like the Ishkick type).
Justice will never lose!

Norsehound

Post by Norsehound » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:40 pm

Tachyon, there is only one other site out there that has origional Orguss content. If you somehow provide the scans for this, it would be awesome.

As for myself, I have the Miyatake Design works- Miyatake is the mechanical artist for Macross AND Orguss. Though, like you, I don't want to cut up my precious artbook :D

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:11 pm

I have an extra copy of the Miyatake Design Works to cut up for the scanner but it isn't enough to build an Orguss section. Let me see if I can find an extra copy of my Orguss art book in Tokyo next month. Cacophanus gave me info on how to find Mandarake Shibuya and I'm hoping they have a respectable selection of old art books.

Yeah, Orguss is one of those mecha shows that doesn't get much coverage online (like Cruise Chaser Blassty) - at least for English speakers.

Norsehound

Post by Norsehound » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:06 pm

Good luck! At least you're in Japan... I've been trying to get a hold of some of the other Orguss artbooks in the states for years.

And here I am now, without a job, still looking :(

At least I have the series in some watchable format.. I'm happy with that. I'm also lucky to have the Orguss' transformation modes in model-kit form, though I won't build them because of some vauge hope to make recasts of them to build different customs. Maybe later in life... :D

If there's anything I can do to help in building the Orguss section let me know. I know for a fact that there is one mecha not shown in the Design works, at least, that was present in the anime... that being the little digger floater seen during the beginning of the series. I thought, if anything, that would be in there.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:54 am

You want to help? Great! Write mecha and character profiles!

However, I can't commit to workin on Orguss until I have better scanner materials and have finished a few other projects.

Norsehound

Post by Norsehound » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:24 am

Ok. Just tell me when and what you need and I'll make profiles for them to the best of my ability.

I don't read Japanese however... and my knowledge mostly comes from watching the series and glancing over supplimental materials. It's better than nothing I suppose...