Cruise Chaser Blassty

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

MSW

Cruise Chaser Blassty

Post by MSW » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:58 pm

I hope that this hasn't been covered before, but I'm new here and haven't seen much info about this...

Cruise Chaser Blassty was originaly a 1986 video game for the PC-88 produced by Square (the Final Fantasy folks)...supposedly Nagano of FSS and L-Gaim fame did the original game mecha designs...Then later in the pages of Hobby Japan the mecha were given redesigns, and the magazine covered a number of those...the HJ versions of CCB mecha are the more well known of the designs...After much searching I was able to find this:

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~bais_d/blas ... _index.htm

The pics at the top show the original game packageing (featureing the original CCB design)...while further down are links to some scanned lineart of the redesigns as well as pages from an apparent manga..cool stuff :D

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:03 am

I've been a big fan of Cruise Chaser Blassty for years. I never knew it started as a video game. I know Akitaka Mika was involved with the later artwork. I would pay big money for the book that was scanned for that Japanese Web site.

Dr. Yo, a fellow mecha fan, said he would try to mail me a stack of old issues of Hobby Japan but he hasn't been able to do it yet. I'm really hoping he sends them. I would love to introduce the English-speaking public to Cruise Chaser Blassty.

You know, I was 17 in the summer of 1991 and I was in Tokyo for 3 months. I bought a back issue of Hobby Japan in a used book store and found an ad in the back for The Art of Cruise Chaser Blassty. I just about flipped right there and then. I had a Japanese friend contact the people who ran the ad but they had already sold out and claimed the book was out of print. I was heart broken. :cry:
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

khalahaley

Post by khalahaley » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:49 am

I had heard of it, never really seen it though.

TSP

Post by TSP » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:21 pm

Wasn't it from that guy who also did the designs for A.R.I.E.L.
I saw a Artbook from him at a friend of mine.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:09 pm

TSP wrote:Wasn't it from that guy who also did the designs for A.R.I.E.L.
I saw a Artbook from him at a friend of mine.
Yes, that's correct. He also designed a bunch of the secondary ships for the Nadesico movie, did some rough concept work for the Nu Gundam, and some other stuff I cant remember right now...

TSP

Post by TSP » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:06 pm

was the HJ special somehow like this

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:41 pm

TSP wrote:was the HJ special somehow like this
Where did you find that book? Is it for sale? I want to buy it!

tetsujin

Post by tetsujin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:14 am

It's a cool book! I dug up my copy too after looking at your site. I need to get a new scanner -but once I do I'll send you the line art.

BTW, have you seen Junya Ishigaki's site? He's the Zenosaga guy. I think he worked on V Gundam, but I'm not totally sure. Anyways, it's worth checking his gallery (mecha are all towards the bottom)-

http://www002.upp.so-net.ne.jp/robo-ishi/

-and he has a link to one of the coolest real 'mecha' around-

http://www.enryu.jp/

Great site you have!!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:57 pm

Thanks for the scanning help. I really want to buy that book if I can.

Ishigaki's site is very cool, yes. He's a great artist. I hadn't seen that enryu site before. Looks great. Thanks!

Scopedog

Post by Scopedog » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:39 am

Here's a link to an auction for some novels:
http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/93058295
(ends in less than 10 hours)

The line art from the Japanese site probably came from those.

This is a link to search for Blassty items on Yahoo Japan Auctions:
http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... 0jp&mode=1

TSP

Post by TSP » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:10 pm

Sorry Tachyon ! I don't owe this book. I was searching for it ,cause I'm also interessted in Cruise Chaser Blassty. Especially the outline artworks for the Novels and Game instructions. Based on these I tried to build some custom models back when I was still a...kid/teen. The results wheren't very satisfiing . After a big clean up last month I found some(actually I found a lot of stupid custom mechas and early unfinished kitbash projects) of the parts. I remembered we had a discusion about this show a year ago so I was hoping to find some pics here.The "friend" who has a lot of Mecha related books from the 70-till now is a Game designer so he's busy 36~48h a day. If we wouldn't negotiate 1 meeting a year we wouldn't see each other.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:16 pm

I have some Cruise Chaser Blassty materials and I will make a section here when I am able to. My boys are 1 and 3 right now so they need a lot of attention but I still find some time now and then to work on Gears projects.

Orguss and Gall Force are in the works now but after that I can consider new projects.

TSP

Post by TSP » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:29 pm

Just take your time. I can wait , still got plenty other things to do.

tetsujin

Post by tetsujin » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:25 am

I haven't forgotten to send these in! But like TSP's friend I'm in games and right now we're doing 70+ hours a week to get this thing out the door...
:(
Soon though!

TSP

Post by TSP » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:14 am

70h! So it's not a rumor.You gamedevelopers do fear sunlight and non-fast- food. And if your boss can offer you a sleeping bag you would give up your home. Man I'm a lucky guy. As a Modelmaker I only had to work 8h a day. Since a year it's +4h overtime mo-fr and 8h on sa.What a total waist of freetime.