Some Opinions on Dai-Guard

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some Opinions on Dai-Guard

Post by Tachyon » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:53 pm

I finished watching the 26 episode Dai-Guard TV series this week. I liked it but I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites.

I saw some heavy influences from Evangelion. Most episodes had a new, mysterious monster [heterodyne] that looked like a poorly illustrated toy made for an infant to chew on. Like Evangelion, the first of these monsters looked pretty cool but all the rest were unimpressive. If Dai-Guard every does a season 2 I can supply all the heterodynes from my 6 month old son's toy bin.

I also didn't like the fact that they never explained what heterodynes were or how they entered our world. They never existed before AD 2018, now they're all too common and no one can offer an explanation? And why do they only attack Japan? No one ever mentioned heterodynes appearing anywhere else in the world.

The glorification of rebellion was annoying but our culture promotes that now so I probably sound like a weirdo even bringing it up. Akagi is the main pilot for Dai-Guard, a multi-million dollar robot capable of destruction on a city-wide scale. He frequently disobeys orders and makes it clear with his track record that he'll do whatever the heck he wants with Dai-Guard once he's in the pilot seat. Yet his superiors let him continue to pilot it. "We never know what he's going to do with that piece of military equipment but... It's ok!"

All complaints aside, there was more right with Dai-Guard than wrong. The characters were likeable, the mecha action was cool and the production was high-quality. Even though he was a "hothead" Akagi is a brave pilot who's trying to accomplish more than just selfish goals. The way he held on to childhood memories of sentai and mecha shows was fun to see and his inspiration of his coworkers made him a hero.

If you're looking for a new mecha show Dai-Guard holds up pretty well.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

hitori

Post by hitori » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:03 pm

I also liked Daiguard.
It had a very unusual 'Hero show' type storyline with comedic portrayal of “how superheroes would live and work in a corporate world” premise.

Some interesting points:

-A super powerful robot weapon that needs to clear multiple levels of corporate red tape before it can fight. Japan's survival must be weighed against the corporate bottom-line.

-The robot's hands are delicate and complex equipment, so it's not designed for melee combat. When it's used to punch an opponent, it breaks apart LoL

-Massive flywheel driven projectile spike weapon attachment

-It takes a full multi-divisional crew to assemble, prep, and to deploy the robot

-A complex heroine character: She is daughter of the most prominent researcher of the Heterodyne invaders who died in the tour of duty. Her stepfather is the owner/head surgeon of a large hospital complex. Yet, she is a high school graduate with a data entry job. The real truth behind her father was a shocker.

-A military supported 'Rival Mecha' that the heroes must compete for governmental contracts. It’s name translates to something really cheesy like “Homeland Defence Bot”

Though it started with these great premises, it fell apart about half way through when they started to lean towards a kid's show theme.
But overall it was a very entertaining show.
Has a great opening theme song as well.