Patlabor Movie 3 WXIII

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Temjin

Patlabor Movie 3 WXIII

Post by Temjin » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:16 am

Ah, I got a chance to watch the 3rd Patlabor Movie on dvd this weekend, though I was kind the disappointed compare it to the 2nd movie.

I just wondering what do you guys think about it?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:22 am

I really enjoyed the movie. The mecha lover in me would have liked to have seen a whole lot more mecha action but it wasn't trying to be an action movie. I considered it to fit squarely into the detective genre and it succeeded nicely. I liked watching the 2 police investigators piece together the mystery. I thought the story elements and technical details were well thought out.

It was rather different than previous Patlabor stories so I can understand why many fans may have been disappointed.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:47 am

The reason I didn't like the movie was not because there were little or no mecha actions, I just felt like the artistic side of the movie wasn't push far enough. It was a very good entertaining piece, but the moive was really kind the empty.

Like for an example, if we took out all the mecha actions in Ghost In the Shell, there were still some very interesting elements left there. In Patlabor 3, if we took out the story and the mecha actions: we left with a empty world with some nice scenery here and there.

I'm fine with it as a detective movie, and it was entertaining. But other than that, it has no depth and value to it at all.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:05 pm

Ah, I see what you mean now. Yeah, Mamoru Oshii used several scenes in Patlabor 2 to evoke a feeling of artistic beauty. I remember the falling snow and soft music while many different people were shown snapping out of a tense situation to express wonder at the sudden beauty around them.

Yeah, Patlabor 3 didn't attempt much of that. I wonder how long we'll have to wait before another directory comes along who can evoke those feelings and still make a movie commercially successful.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:37 pm

Heh, enough that, I still wish to see more mechas in future Patlabor movie.