Gall Force, a new personal favorite

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Daishikaze

Gall Force, a new personal favorite

Post by Daishikaze » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:22 pm

I just got the Gall Force boxset this week, and I have to say I love this series.

Character Designs, Mecha Designs, Music, story all get high marks from me.

Anyone else a fan?

Does anyone know who did the Mecha designs for this series?
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:27 pm

big time! the first 3 Gall Force movies and Reah Gall Force are among my favorite anime.

the mecha are among my favorite designs- (but then again I love just about all the ARTMIC mecha designs- especially Mospeada)

after Reah, however, the animation quality really drops off as the series comes to a close- the first film is completely stand alone- then the 2 sequals wrap up the fate of the Humans and the Paranoids- Reah picks up the pieces left on earth in part one- sets a really solid premice then sort of drifts away from it and doesn't really resolve (too bad)

Cosmic Child is a favorite vocal piece of mine (End theme from Pt. II) it has enough emotion in it to make me get watery-eyed-

Favorite part of Gall Force- 10 little Gall Force! the SD parody- available in the US as part of the Scramble-Wars Super Deformed feature DVD-

absolutely classic parody of what it takes behind the scenes to make a sci-fi movie-

glad to know there are other fans out there of this excellent film and OAV series-

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:07 pm

I bought the Gall Force DVD box set a while back. An excellent series. I really like it.

I know that ARTMIC did the designs but does anyone know the name(s) of the designers?

Is Scramble Wars availabe in the U.S. subtitled?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:26 pm

The Gall Force mecha designers are:

Hideki Kakinuma - Most Solnoid designs
Kimitoshi Yamane - Earth designs in "Earth Chapter", Paranoid Planet Destroyer
Ley Yumeno - Megaships (Traverser, Absolute, Lamia), Solnoid and Paranoid capital ships, Planet Destroyer Cannon

Source: Bandai Entertainment Bibles #16, 19 - Artmic Encyclopedias 1&2

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:12 pm

Thank for the Info, Newton, you truely are a wellspring of Knowledge.

I have found most of the Mecha lineart, anyone know where I can find the rest of them? I'm missing the Paranoid ships, and the Solnoid Vehicles used on Planet Chaos
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Newton

Post by Newton » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:49 pm

You might try hunting in eBay or Yahoo Japan auctions for the books I referenced above (Bandai Entertainment Bibles). They have all the lineart for every vehicle in the Gall Force series.

Also, look for the "Gall Force Completed File" series, published by MOVIC. They're chock-full of the lineart you're looking for. I'm not sure if either of these series are still in print, which is why I suggest the auction sites. You also may want to try used book and manga sellers on the 'Net.

G'Luck,

-Newt

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:08 pm

I'll certainly take your advice, thanks

Something I have been wondering lately is Why this series doesn't have more fans? I think it is seriously underrated, I just can't understand its lack of a fan following

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:34 pm

I'm not sure why either- the likely reason is because of the show's age-

I'm in my mid-thirty's- when I saw Gall Force back in college, any anime was good anime regardless of how old it was- for the simple reason that anime was very hard to come by-

you had to know someone who was into it- you had to have a freind in Japan to send it to you- you could go month's or year's before you got to see the next installment of a show you liked- (Giant Robo being the worst example- 8 years from Episode 1 to episode 7)

with the soon to be great character and mecha designers at Artmic's disposal, just about everything they touched was a guaranteed fan favorite if not a financial success (mospeada for instance)

back when gall force was current- hardly anybody in this country knew anything about it- (it wasn't Robotech or Akira or the handfull of older shows that had been translated at that point)

so its fan base was small to begin with-

now- anime is on toon channel everyday- most anime fans are younger- less mature- and have been raised with anime inspired imagery their entire lives thanks to play station and other sources- they are simply more picky about the looks of a show rather than its content- Gall Force looks "old" to these fans - so they lose interest quickly-

only a few of us dedicated older fans are still arround and many of us have fallen off the path as it were- As much as I love anime, I simply have too much of a real life now to stay as deeply involved as I was.

But I remain a fan of Gall Force- nonetheless

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:41 am

My thoughts exactly, Nightmare

Its too bad ageism so rampant in the fandom these days, some pretty awesome shows are getting left behind in favor of the flavor of the month shows of today.

I'm glad CPM Re-released this series on DVD, I doubt many other companies would bother with it nowadays.

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:05 pm

yeah - I saw the DVD collection about a month ago- no money at the time! curses!

on the flip side however- some of the more recent shows with large fan followings have earned it my book-

Bleach- great show- lots of fans- definately earned it in my book

Naruto- lots of fans- but I have to wonder why everyone calls them "Narut-ards" is the show really that bad? (i have to reserve judgement because I've only ever seen Naruto in AMV's and therefore can't really voice and opinion without having seen it first)

Probably my favorite memory involved with gall force was when a freind and I sat down with the series and MST3K'd the living daylights out of it as if it were a long lost episode of Robotech! (shameless- yes but a lot of fun nonetheless- )

Artmic mecha designs-(can't help but look similer to mospeada) and the Paranoids sure look like Invid (Inbit) to me- cast a few of the Gals as made over - older characters from the the big R and we had a blast-

The scary thing at the end of the day was how easily Gal Force could have been used seriously as a component of Robotech- MAcek could have written in these films in his sleep! (think about it hard enough and it hurts- which is why we HAD to treat it like a parody)

PS- I would kill- (trade body parts- whatever) to have the 2 Artmic Entertainmnet Bibles - I saw them once in Japantown in San Francisco (again when I had no money) by next payday they were gone- and I have NEVER seen them since-

I feel the same way about complete art books for Megazone 23- the Garland series are among my favorite mecha of all time-

Funny most of my favorite mecha designs from the past are from Artmic studio- coincidence- I think not!

it's good to know that their are other other fans of these great older shows out there-

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:13 pm

Personally, I find Bleach and Naruto really annoying, but thats mostly because of their fans, One day I will have to give them alittle attention I suppose, but they just don't seem like anything special to me. oh well

Anyways, I find that you can MiSTie any film, even really great ones, so I can't blame you, since I find myself doing that to other films too.

I think the only thing that would have kept these from being part of Robotech is that the heros are all Women, there are no male Solnoids, I wonder how Uncle Carl would have written around that one?

I would also love to get those books, If only they had them at the JEEG stall at the JapAnimanga Night back in Feb. Probably could have gotten them really cheap too. I got the Dirty Pair Mook and the Char's CounterAttack Perfect Guide for 10 Francs each, So I bet I could have gotten those Books for about the same price. Those people didn't even know what they had, Any book for an older show was basically being thrown away for really no money at all. Sad world we live in I tell ya.

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:34 pm

Yup- sad world-

as to your question regarding the Solenoids and "Unkle Karl"- they would have been a detached fleet of micronized female Zentradi- the paranoids would of course be Invid

the humans and zentradi are VERY related!- the remains of the Solonoid spacecraft on earth and the moon are what summon the SDF-1 to earth in the first place- all those eons in the future- er past- whatever-

or perhaps the giant Zentradi we know today were "macronized" well after the events of Gall force-

like I said- it gets scary when you think about it-

as for Reah Gall force- set it just after southern cross- when the paranoids (ie invid) attack- just delete any footage which implies the humans made the MME's and voila! Invid Invasion- The fact that Score is a dead ringer for Dana Sterling does'nt hurt- and Soundy could easily be cast a relative of Rook Bartley's -

it was so much fun we started doing the same with just about every show we watched- the more outrageous the stretch of beleivability the better-

Macross Plus was way too easy- Think of it as Robotech- the Tirol years- Janice M strikes again!

Giant Robo was tricky- but made for a more interesting ending than the novel's did- Loui Nickles goes insane while developing an artificial proto-culture (shizuma drive obviously) the RDF splits into factions- (BF and the Experts of Justice) pyschic powers manifest due to the earth's infusion of Protoculture- a dying Rick Hunter, in a last gamble to save the world- gives his greatest mecha creation to his son... Roy. Who ever would have thought that Min-Mei's father was a great scientist? -

When I managed to make Ah-MyGoddess make sense as a chapter of robotech- we realized we had gone too far-

Just cause the world is sad doesn't mean we can't have fun with it!

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:58 pm

lol, Thats some funny stuff....... :D

It actually could work as eerie as that sounds.