Any new Super Robot shows out lately?

Mazinger, Raideen, Getter Robo and so many others

Moderator: kosh

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Any new Super Robot shows out lately?

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun May 27, 2012 2:28 pm

I'm always up for some Super Robot Action. Are there any new SR anime out in Japan?
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any new Super Robot shows out lately?

Post by Tachyon » Mon May 28, 2012 1:06 am

Mecha anime is on the wane in Japan. We don't get a lot of new titles these days. I don't know of any that are very recent. For years now the Super Robots genre (sub genre?) has been becoming so flexible that people can argue what qualifies. Was the Lagann in Guren Lagann a super robot?

Perhaps someone else can help us identify a new super robot show.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue May 29, 2012 5:04 am

The only one I'm aware of at the moment is Aquarion Evo. Started in Jan or Feb. Saw part of the 1st episode and it looks promising. I liked the first Aquarion series quite a bit...but I'm a huge Shoji Kawamori fan so I'm kinda biased (2cnd best Mecha designer right after Nagano)
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Wed May 30, 2012 5:00 am

Anime trends run in weird cycles. The last super robot shows before Aquarion Evol were Mazinkaiser SKL, Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector, and Star Driver a year and a half ago. In real robots we've only got Gundam AGE, Gundam Unicorn, and Eureka Seven AO now; though Rinne no Lagrange from a while back should be getting a second season. Also, Horizon In The Middle Of Nowhere isn't exactly mecha, but it seems to go out of its way to cover every genre it can get away with. Still, I'm not going to complain about a lack of giant robots when we're actually getting a Space Battleship Yamato remake next year.