Interesting Ideon designs

Mazinger, Raideen, Getter Robo and so many others

Moderator: kosh

Quiddity

Interesting Ideon designs

Post by Quiddity » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:51 pm

As noted in another topic at this forum, an entity known as 'Submarine' is credited for the design of the majority of the mecha in Ideon along with Yuichi Higuchi (Kunio Okawara was not involved, any site like Anime News Network that says that is wrong). I've managed to track down some of their designs that didn't make the final cut, and they're quite interesting.

Here's one of their designs for the Ideon which eventually got redone into the giant GM design we know of today.

Here's some designs for the Sol Conver/Ideo-Delta, which eventually got simplified for the show.

Here's the Ideo-Nova, again more complicated than what it ended up being.

Of particular interest is the main Buff Clan battleship, the Bairal Jin, which is nothing like the one that we got in the anime.

For reference, here's what it ended up being in the anime:

Finally, Tomino's original plan for the Ideon's head, which has 3 antenae as opposed to the 2 it has in the anime.

Sorry for the yellow/brownish color of these images, the book I scanned them from is over 20 years old (older than I am infact :P)

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:14 pm

Wow, very nice "secret files" there, Q! Good going!

I am struck by how the art style of some of these Ideon rough designs remind me of the line art/model sheets for the Gridman toys. (Or Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad, as its crappy US version was known).

Giant Satan Robo

Post by Giant Satan Robo » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:57 am

Somebody had a slick redesigned Ideon garage kit at Wonder Festival:

Vioshin

Post by Vioshin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:19 am

Thats just awsome!

Engage

Post by Engage » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:28 am

Strange, the pictures won't show up for me. I'm always interested in alternate designs and whatnot, so this is really a downer :cry:

Vioshin

Post by Vioshin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:59 am

I cant see the pictures, i can only see the model (which is what I said was awsome)