Mazinger, Raideen, Getter Robo and so many others

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Super Robot Themes

Post by Tachyon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:05 pm

http://tsuzukusekai.wordpress.com/2009/ ... ol-mark-i/

This topic at Continuing World gives some food for thought on things people would like to see more of in super robot stories. What do you think?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Newton

Re: Super Robot Themes

Post by Newton » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Hmmmm...

I must think on this.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:28 pm

well, half of what he talks about is stuff that they already do in SuperRobot anime.

As far as international teams are concerned, I agree with this, however most Super Robots are unique entities. They are also notoriously expensive and thus its usually pretty difficult to have more than one or two of these suckers running around at once. And these days, most Super Robot teams themselves are a very mixed group from all over the globe. I garuntee you that Blonde haired bimbo with the Triple G-Cup on Gravion is not Japanese!
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:35 pm

I love shows that can be called pure super robot anime but I also like the super robot/realistic mixtures that have popped up. I'd like to see a show where a super robot appears and a pilot is selected in the usual fashion. Then, the show gives a more realistic treatment to the situation.

Imagine a secret government military base where the hero (heroes?) are forced to stay. If the enemy attacks and the pilot is out shopping the world is in trouble, right? So the pilot isn't allowed to leave the base. He or she is always training and 2nd and 3rd string pilots are selected and trained for "just in case" scenarious. The pilots would have duty shifts to make sure there's a pilot awake and ready when the enemy attacks. Of course, the hero would have the longest duty shifts to make it more likely he's the pilot when trouble comes. Think of the angst potential of a pilot who's always training and never allowed to leave? Don't angsty moments seem to drive mecha anime?

Also, the pilots' identities are a military secret. The media would be constantly trying to find out who the pilots are and find a way into the secret base to snap some photos.

A team of engineers and scientists are constantly studying the super robot to try and figure out how to mass produce it but they're always butting heads with the engineers who have to keep the robot ready to scramble when the enemy attacks.

A special group is always running positive public relations for the super robot but there are people who smell a conspiracy and constantly try to reveal the "dirty secrets" of the super robot and its support team. Granted, this aspect of the show would probably take a back seat and only show up in a few episodes.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Tachyon wrote:I love shows that can be called pure super robot anime but I also like the super robot/realistic mixtures that have popped up. I'd like to see a show where a super robot appears and a pilot is selected in the usual fashion. Then, the show gives a more realistic treatment to the situation.

Imagine a secret government military base where the hero (heroes?) are forced to stay. If the enemy attacks and the pilot is out shopping the world is in trouble, right? So the pilot isn't allowed to leave the base. He or she is always training and 2nd and 3rd string pilots are selected and trained for "just in case" scenarious. The pilots would have duty shifts to make sure there's a pilot awake and ready when the enemy attacks. Of course, the hero would have the longest duty shifts to make it more likely he's the pilot when trouble comes. Think of the angst potential of a pilot who's always training and never allowed to leave? Don't angsty moments seem to drive mecha anime?

Also, the pilots' identities are a military secret. The media would be constantly trying to find out who the pilots are and find a way into the secret base to snap some photos.

A team of engineers and scientists are constantly studying the super robot to try and figure out how to mass produce it but they're always butting heads with the engineers who have to keep the robot ready to scramble when the enemy attacks.

A special group is always running positive public relations for the super robot but there are people who smell a conspiracy and constantly try to reveal the "dirty secrets" of the super robot and its support team. Granted, this aspect of the show would probably take a back seat and only show up in a few episodes.
Wasn't that called Godannar?
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:05 pm

I watched Godannar. Both Godannar and Gravion got close to some of the ideas I presented but I'd like to see them dealt with more thoroughly.

Sureiachan

Post by Sureiachan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Some of the things in this (1 year old! Sheesh, am I behind ^_^) article are actually really interesting. I'm going to consider something and post a more thought-out reply, but I love what I'm seeing here already ^_^