Working on a Blog

What's happening at GEARS

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Working on a Blog

Post by Tachyon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:24 pm

I have installed and begun configuring a blog for Gears Online. I need to change off the default skin but after that it should be ready to roll. The features enable people other than me to write blog posts if they are authorized.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Working on a Blog

Post by Tachyon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:27 am

http://www.gearsonline.net/gearsblog/

Here's a preview. It's a bit ugly but I'll have to update the look of it later. While doing maintainence on my home computer I lost all my Photoshop files for doing graphics work on Gears Online. I'll have to recreate a look for the site when I have the resources.

For now, if anyone would like to think about contributing articles to GearsBlog please let me know and we can discuss it.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:35 pm

Blog address has changed to:
http://blog.gearsonline.net/

I'm going to tweak the date listing for each post and then start writing posts. I'll review some anime and talk about my Oct 2007 trip to Japan Town, San Francisco and my spring 2006 trip to Japan.

Falk

Post by Falk » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:36 am

The blog won't display the poll result either when I just click "see results" or after voting, is it cuz' it's still wip ?

Also it's kinda late but anyway, you're probably more skilled at php and database stuff than me, but have you checked various blog packages to pick the best one ? (or one with more support)(not that there may be that many differences, just that once someone told me he changed his blog package cuz' the layout was partly made in css, partly hard-coded, hence uneditable. Maybe just that one package was a bit more advanced than the other). Unless you coded everything yourself in which case I'll just shut up :p (this board needs smileys !!! ^_^)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi, Falk! Great to see you here. Let me answer your questions.

First off, smilies. To my right as I type this I see smilies I can add to this post. 8) :twisted: :D
Are they showing up for you? I put 3 in.

I looked around at different blog packages and decided WordPress looked good. A guy at my office is very technical and he likes it. Comment spam is a problem with all blog packages but I think WordPress has some tools that will help once I link the blog for the public. WordPress is written in PHP and I've had some success modifying it so far. Thankfully, I don't plan on majorly rewriting it.

The polls are a problem right now. In fact, they are what's holding up the blog's release to the public. I'm talking with someone on a support forum and trying to fix the polls. Today or tomorrow I will either fix the polls or remove them completely. I'd like to use a poll system like what they have at www.dannychoo.com but I don't know quite how to write the PHP.

Thanks for taking a look at the poll. I look forward to hearing more feedback from you once I release it to the public and have some posts up to read.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:15 pm

http://blog.gearsonline.net/

The technical problems have been worked out and there are 2 posts up. Tonight I'll link it to the Gears Online site.