Grumble, Grumble...

What's happening at GEARS

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grumble, Grumble...

Post by Tachyon » Mon May 03, 2004 3:15 pm

The site traffic report for Sunday has been thrown way off by a 14 year old kid using a direct link to one of the Gears images in his sig file on several popular message boards.

I sent him an Email telling him to copy the image and use his own copy but I haven't had much success with 14 year olds in the past. Stuff like this is highly annoying...
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

khalahaley

Post by khalahaley » Mon May 03, 2004 4:53 pm

Argh, it is really irritating when people does that. Cant you make it so that a different image appears when someone direct links them? Like how Geocities and Tripod does, have an image with "direct linking not allowed" on.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon May 03, 2004 5:27 pm

I'm going to talk to my host this week and see what the options are.

kosh

Post by kosh » Mon May 03, 2004 7:45 pm

If I may,mahq has similar problems and Rand changes the url of the particular image to point to something else to deal with the problem.I don't know for sure,but I think you could do the same.Bandwidth thives are a big problem and there's not alot to stop them long term,you have to deal with each individual occurance as it happens.
Do you understand?

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Tue May 04, 2004 11:46 am

I heard that any direct link to image at somethingawful will redirect to a disturb one...I never try though.

It sound like a long term protection. :D

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri May 07, 2004 4:28 am

Good news. The tech guys at my provider gave me the answer. No fees, no installing new software. You simply create 2 new text files and stick them in the right places. I think they're called htaccess files. I'll check the notes and try it out tomorrow.

It's nice to know there are easy answers to these problems. I caught a message board in Hong Kong "hotlinking" to most of the images in the Gundam Hathaway's Flash section here at Gears Online. Time to put a stop to this for good! Then my site traffic reports won't be misleading.

I'll undo the protection for the little directory that holds my "link to" images. For now, I don't mind people hotlinking to the 2 little images that help promote this site.

khalahaley

Post by khalahaley » Fri May 07, 2004 4:36 am

Nice to know you found a solution to the problem. Whats gonna appear instead if you hotlink though, some messege or the red x?

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Fri May 07, 2004 12:01 pm

Hentai-ish image should drive away those jerk! :roll: It might even has them ban. :D

Then again,that might ruin this site... :|

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri May 07, 2004 2:03 pm

I have the option of putting an image that every hotlink defaults to. However, that uses bandwidth. I'm going to let them deal with the "X" marker.