Gearing up for Orguss Section

What's happening at GEARS

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gearing up for Orguss Section

Post by Tachyon » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:24 am

In preparing for the Super Dimensions Century Orguss section here at Gears Online I have been giving some thought to sources. Most of the images will come from This Is Animation The Select volumes 8 & 9. Additional images will be pulled from Kazutaka Miyatake Design Works Macross & Orguss, Entertainment Bible 6 Studio Nue Part 1 and Entertainment Bible 9 Studio Nue Part 2. An image of the Orguss will be scanned from Tokyo Robot News Volume 00-03 and an image of the Orguss 2 from Super Robot Encyclopedia '98/'04.

Information will be gleaned from the Orguss Viewer’s Guide by Matthew Zell. I will not be visiting Mark Stout's Orguss Web site anymore as I don't want to unconsciously copy anything from it.

If any of you know of any other good sources for Orguss images or information please let me know.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:54 pm

I found some images I may or may not use in Mikimoto art books.

I've read through episode 26 (out of 35) in the episode guide. It sounds like a really cool show! I wish I could watch it subtitled on DVD. It's a more ambitious sci-fi story than most anime TV shows try to be.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:53 pm

I've cleaned up a scan of the Orguss logo and have written the introduction for the section along with the contents of the Story page. I'm working through character bios now and will soon be done with the bulk of the writing chores.

After that I'll start scanning character images and then translate text so I can have a list of names to go with each mecha image. Many of the mechanical images have a line or 2 of explanatory text but no individual name.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:34 pm

I finished the character bios and cleaned up 2 scans from Mikimoto art books. After I finish the character images I'll build some pages and post them for comment. Then the process of translation starts as I try to build a list of mecha, ships and machines and try to figure out which faction owns what.

After making so many small, sketchy sections for Gears Online it's nice to work on a full section again. Gall Force will be fun too.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:05 am

It's been a busy week but I sat down tonight to start scanning character images. It made me feel bad to tear apart an artbook that's been sitting on my shelf for 15 years but running a Web site is not for the faint of heart (plus I bought a newer, nicer copy of the same book in Tokyo in May :P ).

I'm just glad to be a contributing part of the online community of mecha fans. And, yes, I'll try to control my inflated sense of importance as I work this weekend. :D

Hung

Post by Hung » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:35 am

you are a great man!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:01 pm

Work continues. I have the character images cleaned up and am now cleaning up 3 remaining gallery images. Then I'll post pages for intro, story, characters and gallery.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:22 pm

http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/

The Story and Characters sections are complete. Well, I'll add some line art for Tai when I find time. I have to clean up 4 images for the Gallery and Orguss 02 pages and then it will be time to start translating mecha names and making a master list of all mecha in Orguss.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:45 am

http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/gallery/

I posted the gallery page tonight. The Orguss 02 page should take very little time and then I'll build the Nebulard and Orguss pages.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:27 pm

http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/orguss02/

Now there's nothing between me and the mecha section.

Norsehound

Post by Norsehound » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:31 am

Finally!

I've managed to secure a number of Orguss artworks from across the internet that are not present in your gallery. Sadly I cannot credit the source; it's lost to time.

I have a number of linearts for Mecha that are available through http://orguss.freeservers.com/ which until your site was the only comprehensive Orguss page on there.

I also have with me a map of Orguss that charts the events of the series. It comes from another Orguss page that fell some time ago; but I don't know where it came from.

Olsen's last name is D. Vern, and was quoted once in the series by the commander.

The Kazutaka Miyatake book has a lot of useful lineart in it- including the preproduction Nebulard (Which became the Orguss)- you might already have it since apparently you have the definative hard-to-find artbooks that sadly I don't own.

There is one vehicle not mentioned by the Miyatake book nor from the Orguss.Freeservers page: it's the digger pod that opens a hole in the mountains to get to the grape valley in the beginning of the series. Again you might have this, but I would have resorted to screencaps or drawing it myself.

Should also note that the M.Lovers have their own full armor kits, which were used midway in the series and showed up now and then. The augments look like FAST packs, essentially, for the M.Lovers.

Also in the MIyatake book are the strange green opposition fighters that appeared only in episode one. I call them 'grasshoppers'- since I cannot read Japanese, but they do have a heading over them.

If you want all that I can send you, shoot me a mail at Norsehound@comcast.net. I'll see what I can do.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:27 am

Thanks for the help, Norsehound! I always like working together with other mecha fans to prepare new Gears Online sections. I'll send you an Email this evening.

I haven't started scanning mecha images yet but I look forward to seeing what you've been able to find. I may scan some of the same mecha images out of my source books to get higher resolution images. Please don't be offended.
it's the digger pod that opens a hole in the mountains to get to the grape valley in the beginning of the series
You mean the Emaan excavation machine on page 74 of This Is Animation The Select volume 8?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:26 pm

Woohoo! Life is good. Norsehound sent in a very rare and very cool map of the Orguss world showing the flight path of the Glomar. I'll post it for everyone to see soon. Thanks, man!

All color mecha images have been scanned and cleaned up. No, there aren't that many but it's still nice to have them done!

I'm going to try to carve out some time today to scan mecha line art. I'm getting excited about this project now. I think this section will be a worthwhile contribution to online mecha fandom.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:56 pm

I scanned the Mu robots and translated names for them. I also scanned all Orguss, Orguss II and Olson Special images. The Bronco II and "enemy GERWALK" are also scanned. This week I'll do some image clean up and then tackle the Glomar scanning work. There are so many Glomar images!

Anyways, I'm just glad progress is being made again.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:53 pm

Glomar images have been scanned and all Mu forces images have been cleaned up. All pre catastrophe mecha have been cleaned up. I'm going to clean up the Glomar and Orguss line art images and then scan M.Lover line art.

Did you guys know that the Glomar has a big sail? It's wacky. I hope I can get it posted soon.