General Site News

What's happening at GEARS

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

General Site News

Post by Tachyon » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:03 pm

Hello, everyone. I thought I'd take the time to give a general update about how GEARS Online is doing.

GEARS Online is almost a year old and doing quite well. Traffic to the site is using 21% of the allowed bandwidth. That means traffic is rising but we can still accommodate more.

I was surprised to discover that GEARS is showing up in major search engines now. Enough people have visited for the general public to become aware of the site through Yahoo!, MSN and Google. The majority of searches use "Gundam," "Sentinel" and "Katoki" but many also use names of mecha designers and words like "designs." The search engines mostly lead people to the Designers page and the Gundam Sentinel pages.

Most of the incoming traffic comes from various message boards where people mention the site or put it in their signature at the end of their posts. All of you who are reading this and have mentioned GEARS Online at a message board, thank you so much.

There's plenty more material to cover in the months ahead. The number of search engine hits from Sentinel searches has motivated me to finish that section. A friend of ours from this message board has been kind enough to send scanned images from the Crossbone Gundam manga. More on that when I can make it available.

In fact, many recent updates to GEARS Online have come from contributors who wanted to help out. Designer bios, wallpaper images - one person even agreed to mail Cruise Chaser Blasty images. :shock:

I would be remiss if I didn't extend a heart-felt thank you to all contributors. If you've contributed to this site and feel you haven't been properly credited or thanked, please let me know. One man can make a fairly good Web site but it takes a group of people to make an excellent one.

That's what's going on with GEARS Online these days. It is my hope that the site's 2nd year will make the first pale in comparison. If you have any questions feel free to let me know either on this message board or through Email.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon May 31, 2004 8:29 pm

May has been the best month yet for Gears Online. Bandwidth usage was 52.15%. If I'm reading the report correctly, 8,128 unique visitors came. A large portion of visitors now come from major search engines.

The most popular searches are Gundam Sentinel and Gundam Girls but many other search terms rival them for popularity. After I get some other things up on the site I'll have to scan some more Gundam Girls images and make a page for them. I've even got some new ones from Akitaka Mika himself from the pages of Character Model Magazine.

Thank you, everyone, for your support.

Altron

Post by Altron » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:31 pm

What statistic counter are you using? Man... I would really like to know where my hits came from (all 400 of them!). It would also give me a good chance to upgrade the more frequented sections, and beef up lacking content.

Oh yeah, sorry for direct linking to you and knowlton's world's mini banners. I really should be taking them down soon, and uploading them up to my own account.

For those with websites and are lacking space for images, pages, etc, upload you stuff to 250free.com, a place where you can get 250 free Megabytes (as long as you have a site with them). All i did was use the source code from my angelfire account to fool those suckers.

Like monEY IN THE BANK!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:50 pm

Hello from Upland, Indiana.

My host company set up a number of different reporting tools but the 2 I use the most are:
http://www.analog.cx/
http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/

They look pretty easy to set up although I've never done so myself.

Altron

Post by Altron » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:16 pm

Do you know of any other counters? I don't have system administrative properties (im only a teenager...), so I can't install anything. An online counter would be good.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:08 pm

There's lots of other counters out there. I set up some PERL and PHP counters just to work through lessons.

I guess the main issue it to contact your provider and find out what you can and can't do and what they're willing to do for you.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:22 am

Dude! Tachyon! Where are you at?
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:58 am

I'm here. I apologize for the long delays on updates. In order to try and set things right, tomorrow (Monday, 7/5/04) I will code at least 3 mortar headd pages and post them up for your (Nu Soard's) feedback.

As soon as I can, I will get my scanner and 5 Star Stories materials out of boxes and try to resume work on the project. Again, I'm sorry for the delays. My life is a little strange now but it shouldn't last too long.